Mountain Bike Night Leader Award
The Mountain Bike Night Leader Award is for qualified British Cycling Mountain Bike Leaders who wish to extend their skills and provides further opportunities for your groups by riding through twilight and darkness.
Utilising your existing mountain bike leadership experience and knowledge, this course focuses particularly on safe and effective leadership skills used during dark conditions including those of communication, motivation, organisation and decision making coupled with detailed route planning and navigation. It expands on the development and implementation of robust emergency action and late back procedures. The course also covers additional risk factors when leading in the at night and highway factors comprising legal lighting requirements.
What does the course include?
One-day training course with at least 3 hours on the trail during darkness
One-day practical and theory assessment with a British Cycling accredited provider.
The assessment is to be booked once you’ve had enough time to hone the skills and knowledge you have obtained on your training days. The maximum time to complete your award is 18months.
How much does it cost?
The total cost ranges from £240.00-£370.00 depending on the provider delivering your training. Costs breakdown:
- Registration fee with British Cycling: £77.00
- British Cycling Membership (minimum ride): £43.00
- Training course (2 days): £120.00-£125.00
- Assessment day: £120.00-£125.00
What do I need to be able to register?
- The minimum age to attend a course is 18 years old and you must hold British Cycling Ride, Race Silver or Race Gold membership. You will need to be qualified as a Level 2 or 3 Mountain Bike Leader, Trail Cycle Leader, Scottish MBLA or fulfil the requirements of the direct entry pathway.
- You must have substantial mountain biking experience in various terrains and weather conditions, plus appropriate and suitable personal equipment for yourself to mountain bike in the dark and for leading in daylight.
- On or prior to your training day you will need to provide evidence of 10 quality rides in the dark, of at least 2 hours duration. We have a free online Logbook that can be downloaded or printed.
- You are required to attend and evidence a two-day outdoor First Aid course on completion of your Assessment.
How do I register and book on a course?
You only need to register for the MTB Leadership programme once therefore if you have completed the British Cycling MTB Leader Level 2 or 3 award, you do not need to register again. If you have previously been a British Cycling member you must renew your Ride membership before registering for the programme.
The training and assessment days are delivered by our licenced providers. To book onto a training or assessment day, please contact the relevant provider directly.
If you need extra support to undertake this course because of a physical or learning disability contact our team to discuss any reasonable adjustments that would support you.