The Level 3 Mountain Bike Leadership Award helps you capitalise on your Mountain Bike Leadership skills and experience to take groups on more technically demanding and remote rides.
This award is for recognised Level 2 Mountain Bike Leaders (or approved alternative qualification or direct pathway learners), who wish to extend their remit to include remote terrain and trails of severe technical difficulty and navigation in challenging mountain conditions.
The course covers topics such as detailed planning and ride preparation, group management in remote terrain and mountain weather, trailside repairs, advanced navigation skills, risk management, nutrition and hydration.
What does the course include?
- Three-day training course,
- Two-day practical and written assessment with a British Cycling accredited provider.
The assessment is to be booked once you’ve had enough time to hone the skills and knowledge you have obtained on your training days. The maximum time to complete your award is 18months.
How much does it cost?
The total cost ranges from £525.00-£755.00 depending on the provider delivering your training. Costs breakdown:
- British Cycling Membership (minimum ride): £43.00
- Training course: £295.00-£350.00
- Assessment days: £190.00-£285.00
What do I need to be able to register?
- The minimum age to attend a course is 18 years old and you must hold the Level 2 MTB Leadership Award, Trail Cycle Leader Award or fulfil the requirements of the direct entry pathway.
- You must have mountain biking experience in various terrains and weather conditions, an appropriate level of physical fitness for a day’s riding is essential to be competent in the techniques and skills required to safely negotiate the typical trail features, generally comparable to black-graded purpose-built trails, but will primarily be natural trails.
- On or prior to your training day you will need to provide evidence of 30 quality rides in wild, mountain terrain in the last 18 months, including at least 12 rides leading groups. We have a free online Logbook that can be downloaded or printed.
What else do I need to do to achieve the Award?
In order for your award to be accredited in addition to successful completion of your course, you are required to:
- hold British Cycling Membership of Ride level or above.
- attend and evidence a two-day outdoor First Aid course on completion of your assessment.
- undergo and evidence safeguarding training appropriate to the country they are leading in
These can occur after your Fundamentals of Mountain Bike Leadership course, but your award will only be provided on receipt and acceptance of these.
How do I register and book on a course?
Contact the MTB Leadership training provider via the links under 'Dates and Venues'. Training fees are now inclusive of registration, but you will need to take out Membership with British Cycling separately.
As above, after training you will then need to book on a separate assessment date when ready.
For direct entry please contact the Provider before booking to discuss your specific learner pathway.
Level 3 Training Dates & Venues
|Provider||Location||Practical Dates||Online Booking|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||22nd, 23rd & 24th January 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||11th, 12th & 13th March 2024||Book|
|Pedal MTB||Coed y Brenin||22nd, 23rd & 24th March 2024||Book|
|Cycle Wild Scotland||Aviemore||23rd, 24th & 25th April 2024||Book|
|Ridelines||Innerleithen||6th, 7th & 8th May 2024||Book|
|Glenmore Lodge||Aviemore||6th, 7th & 8th May 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||17th, 18th & 19th June 2024||Book|
|Glenmore Lodge||Aviemore||24th, 25th & 26th June 2024||Book|
|Pedal MTB||Coed y Brenin||28th, 29th & 30th June 2024||Book|
|Glenmore Lodge||Aviemore||5th, 6th & 7th August 2024||Book|
|Plas y Brenin||Capel Curig||23rd, 24th & 25th August 2024||Book|
|Ridelines||Innerleithen||2nd, 3rd & 4th September 2024||Book|
|Glenmore Lodge||Aviemore||16th, 17th & 18th September 2024||Book|
|Pedal MTB||Coed y Brenin||20th, 21st & 22nd September 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||23rd, 24th & 25th September 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||21st, 22nd & 23rd October 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||25th, 26th & 27th November 2024||Book|
|Plas y Brenin||Capel Curig||22nd, 23rd & 24th August 2024||Book|
Level 3 Assessment Dates & Venues
|Provider||Location||Assessment Dates||Online Booking|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||12th & 13th February 2024||Book|
|Pedal MTB||Capel Curig||20th & 21st April 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||22nd & 23rd April 2024||Book|
|Cycle Wild Scotland||Aviemore||29th & 30th April 2024||Book|
|Ridelines||Innerleithen||29th & 30th April 2024||Book|
|Glenmore Lodge||Aviemore||13th & 14th May 2024||Book|
|Glenmore Lodge||Aviemore||10th & 11th June 2204||Book|
|Plas y Brenin||Capel Curig||13th & 14th July 2024||Book|
|Ridelines||Innerleithen||26th & 27th August 2024||Book|
|Pedal MTB||Capel Curig||7th & 8th September 2024||Book|
|Glenmore Lodge||Aviemore||7th & 8th September 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||16th & 17th September 2024||Book|
|Wye MTB||Cannop Valley||16th & 17th October 2024||Book|
|Plas y Brenin||Capel Curig||12th & 13th July 2025||Book|
If you need extra support to undertake this course because of a physical or learning disability contact our team to discuss any reasonable adjustments that would support you.
If there is no course available nearby, please complete our short form to express interest. This will help us to plan for future courses and let you know when a nearby date has been added.