The Level 3 Mountain Bike Leadership Award helps you capitalise on your Mountain Bike Leadership skills and experience to take groups on more technically demanding and remote rides.
This award is for recognised Level 2 Mountain Bike Leaders (or approved alternative qualification or direct pathway learners), who wish to extend their remit to include remote terrain and trails of severe technical difficulty and navigation in challenging mountain conditions.
The course covers topics such as detailed planning and ride preparation, group management in remote terrain and mountain weather, trailside repairs, advanced navigation skills, risk management, nutrition and hydration.
What does the course include?
- Three-day training course,
- Two-day practical and written assessment with a British Cycling accredited provider.
The assessment is to be booked once you’ve had enough time to hone the skills and knowledge you have obtained on your training days. The maximum time to complete your award is 18months.
How much does it cost?
The total cost ranges from £562.00-£755.00 depending on the provider delivering your training. Costs breakdown:
- Registration fee with British Cycling: £77.00
- British Cycling Membership (minimum ride): £43.00
- Training course (2 days): £295.00-£350.00
- Assessment day: £190.00-£285.00
What do I need to be able to register?
- The minimum age to attend a course is 18 years old and you must hold the Level 2 MTB Leadership Award, Trail Cycle Leader Award or fulfil the requirements of the direct entry pathway.
- You must have mountain biking experience in various terrains and weather conditions, an appropriate level of physical fitness for a day’s riding is essential to be competent in the techniques and skills required to safely negotiate the typical trail features, generally comparable to black-graded purpose-built trails, but will primarily be natural trails.
- On or prior to your training day you will need to provide evidence of 30 quality rides in wild, mountain terrain in the last 18 months, including at least 12 rides leading groups. We have a free online Logbook that can be downloaded or printed.
- You are required to attend and evidence a two-day outdoor First Aid course on completion of your Assessment.
How do I register and book on a course?
You only need to register for the MTB Leadership programme once therefore if you have completed the Level 2 award, you do not need to register again. If you have previously been a British Cycling member you must renew your Ride membership before registering for the programme.
The training and assessment days are delivered by our licenced providers. Please contact the relevant provider directly and book on to a course.
For direct entry please contact the Provider before booking to discuss your specific learner pathway.
If you need extra support to undertake this course because of a physical or learning disability contact our team to discuss any reasonable adjustments that would support you.