Peace of mind protection for your event

Insurance for events - how does it work?

Events are the lifeblood of our sport. We want organisers to enjoy running safe cycling events in the knowledge that support is there when its needed.

Liability insurance helps to ensure that event organisers and their volunteers are covered against claims from third parties if an incident happens during an event.

Event Insurance from British Cycling

Insurance for events - learn more

Who is it available to?

Events registered with British Cycling

What is event insurance?

For the protection of members and all those involved in the management of registered and insured cycling events, British Cycling provides through its public liability insurance policy, an indemnity, limited to £20 million (3) for legal liabilities arising from claims made against an event organiser, official, volunteer or participant (1) that involves either bodily injury or property damage to a third party.

All events promoted under the auspices of British Cycling are provided with this cover upon receipt of a properly completed Event Registration form and the payment of all appropriate fees. Cover can also be provided for non-competitive events such as social, reliability, challenge and sportive rides.

Track Meeting Promoters should note that the standard event liability insurance allows the use of derny or pacing motors. Motors are limited, however, to a maximum of 125cc and all Motor Pacers must hold a valid and appropriate British Cycling Motor Pacing licence. Drivers of motor pacing machines over 125cc must apply to British Cycling headquarters for insurance cover.


(1) Individual cover will only be provided to participants who are either Members or Premium Members of British Cycling.

(3) For incidents occurring on or after 31 March 2021. For incidents occurring between 31 March 2018 and 30 March 2021 the indemnity limit is £15million. For incidents occurring before 31 March 2018 the indemnity limit is £10 million.

Motor vehicle insurance for road event officials

Occasional motor vehicle insurance is available to members who organise road events or perform a key role as a designated road event official. This insurance cover forms an extension to British Cycling's motor fleet policy and has been arranged for the benefit of organisers and key officials that are unable to find cover for their activities under their own personal motor vehicle insurance. It is for members using their own vehicle and is for the duration of a road event only.

For the purpose of this insurance cover ‘the duration of the event' is defined as meaning from the start of a race until the end of a race and does not include the use of the vehicle between stages.

Members wishing to receive the benefit of motor vehicle insurance whilst using their own vehicles must provide vehicle and personal details to the organiser in advance of the event. In order to effect this cover the organiser must submit vehicle insurance requirements to British Cycling headquarters on an official registration form in advance of the event and certain conditions apply: all drivers must be members of British Cycling; be aged 21 years or over; and be the named and ‘normally insured' driver of the vehicle.

Note: Motorcycle marshals must be members of the National Escort Group, be Part 3 qualified and be at least 25 years of age.

This special extension to British Cycling's motor vehicle insurance arrangements is ‘comprehensive' (i.e. not ‘third party') in the event of a road traffic incident only and does not provide insurance cover for property or vehicle damage claims arising, for example, from the use of radio and other event equipment or where a motorcycle has fallen to the ground from a stationary position.  Cover only extends to those events that are insured by British Cycling. A policy ‘excess' may be payable by the driver in the event of a claim being made against the policy.

Important: The provision of motor vehicle insurance cover to nominated event officials is conditional and responsibility for compliance rests with the individual driver. Responsibility for registering an event's vehicle insurance requirements rests with the event organiser. Vehicle registration forms may be obtained from your Event Organiser Dashboard.

For further information see:

Event vehicle insurance information

Motor vehicle insurance for road event officials Q&A

Event liability insurance - policy information