The Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Cycling is aimed at coaches already qualified at Level 1, who have experience of delivering independent coaching sessions to groups of people.
This qualification enables coaches to independently create, deliver and evaluate a series of cycling coaching sessions to groups of beginner and intermediate level riders. A large portion of the course is made up of practical activities, ensuring coaches have an opportunity to experience delivering and participating within coaching sessions.
- Level 1 Award in Coaching Cycling or equivalent.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- A commitment to complete the learning programme within 12 weeks.
- The opportunity to coach. You will be required to independently plan and deliver six hours of coaching. If you do not have riders to coach you should not enrol on the Level 2 qualification.
- Access to the internet and a computer.
- Completion of safeguarding and protecting children training within the last three years.
- Coaching insurance.
- Valid and current emergency first aid certificate (minimum 6 hours), or equivalent.
The learning programme
This programme includes three days of face-to-face delivery, as well as online knowledge development and independent coaching experience with support from a Coach Mentor. All components of the programme will need to be completed in order for you to achieve the Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Cycling
The course is made up of 13 modules covering topics such as where to and what to coach, delivering activities, rider performance, safe coaching environment, developing sessions and evaluating your coaching.
You will have 12 weeks to complete the learning programme. You will be given further course details two weeks prior to the start date.
You are not required to complete any pre-course work, though you must have a current emergency first aid qualification and provide evidence of having, within the last three years, completed safeguarding and protecting children training, preferably in a sports context.
If you will be coaching riders under the age of 18 years or vulnerable adults, you may require a Disclosure and Barring Service enhanced check.
You will be assessed via the following tasks:
- Task 1 – plan and deliver a 15-minute practical session to a small group of peers on day two of the course.
- Task 2 – online multiple-choice assessment to be completed between days two and three of the course.
- Task 3 – delivery and evaluation of a series of six coaching sessions to a group of riders you have identified between days two and three of course.
- Task 4 - plan and deliver a 15-minute practical session to a small group of peers on day three of the course.
How much does the qualification cost?
The course cost is £485. There may be some financial assistance available. Take a look at our funding pages to see what funding streams are available in your region.
NB. Full course payment required on point of application.
Timetable of courses with available places - booking closes 2 weeks prior to day 1
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Location||Reference||Booking Link
|9 March 19||10 March 19||2 June 19||Herne Hill||1916||Apply here|
|9 March 19||10 March 19||1 June 19||Orkney||3313||Apply here|
|9 March 19||10 March 19||1 June 19||Burnley||3310||Apply here|
|30 March 19||31 March 19||22 June 19||Bath||3316||Apply here|
|6 April 19||7 April 19||29 June 19||Newcastle||1995||Apply here|
|13 April 19||14 April 19||7 July 19||Fife||1970||Apply here|
|27 April 19||28 April 19||21 July 19||Lincoln||3314||Apply here|
|27 April 19||28 April 19||21 July 19||Aberdeen||1971||Apply here|
|15 June 19||16 June 19||7 Sept 19||West Brom||1998||Apply here|
|22 June 19||23 June 19||14 Sept 19||Dumfries||1972||Apply here|
|7 Sept 19||8 Sept 19||30 Nov 19||Rhyl||3326||Apply here|
|14 Sept 19||15 Sept 19||7 Dec 19||Leicester||1981||Apply here|
|21 Sept 19||22 Sept 19||14 Dec 19||Newport||3325||Apply here|
Please contact HQ on Education@britishcycling.org.uk or 0161 274 2060 if you have any queries or alternatively get in touch with your regional Club & Coaching Officer to register your interest if there are no courses currently available in your area