Launching our new Coaching Framework for British Cycling
Bookings are now open for the first step into our new Coaching Framework, British Cycling’s Coach Award.
It’s one programme, 5 modules.
- Introduction to coaching
- Understanding Your Domain
- Understanding Learning & Development
- Coaching in Context
- Experiential Learning
So what’s coming and when?
We see the phased launch across 2023 - 2024:
- We begin with the launch of Introduction to Coaching, this is the first step into the Coach Award, and once you’ve completed this module, you’ll be able to deliver some activity in your discipline, with the remit of an Activity Coach
- Following this we’re releasing e-learning units from our Understanding Your Domain - from the very beginning of a coach's journey to our highly experienced coaches, this growing range of titles will support your development in understanding the needs of different riders in participation, development and performance
- Later in the Autumn we’ll launch Understanding Learning & Development - with guided Tutor support, as well as experimenting in your own practice, further understand your riders’ motivations and how to create an environment to optimise learning
- Then comes Coaching in Context – explore the technical and tactical demands of your chosen discipline, and experiment with coaching strategies to best support riders achieve their goals
- And lastly in early 2024 sees the launch of the Experiential Learning module – here you can take time to document your questions, reflections and experiments - cultivating curiosity in your coaching practice across a period of time. Then submit a portfolio of evidence to become a fully qualified Coach in the new British Cycling Coach Award
The big changes with the new Coaching Framework
- Accessible entry points so our new coaches can start learning in their discipline and environment straight away
- A modular structure that links together which is more accessible, so you can build your knowledge and skills gradually over time
- Threads of learning to support our coaches in key areas, such as working with disabled riders; women and girls; children and young people, according to the environment the coach is working in. For the first time, you will be supported in developing an understanding in these important topics, which will be recognised and recorded against your profile on the database
- With us you’ll experience a person-centred approach to coaching which is more developmental
- You'll be able to engage with a broader and deeper curriculum to reflect the role of the cycling coach and the demands of coaching
What’s the purpose?
- We want education in the new framework to be as much about what you discover and learn as the qualifications themselves
- Our objective is to inspire people to continue to learn, question, reflect, experiment and be curious
- We want you to feel the reward of learning through opportunities for continued growth and development
For new coaches
For those who are new to coaching, book onto the Introduction to Coaching module and learn the basic skills of coaching.
This is the first step into the Coach Award, and once you’ve completed this module, you’ll be able to deliver some activity in your discipline, with the remit of an Activity Coach.
For existing coaches
There is no specific requirement to retrain or requalify, but we hope that our current coaches are excited by the new opportunities to continue their development in coaching.
All existing qualifications will continue to be recognised as we transition into the new framework.
The independent modules, that can be combined or taken as a standalone, offer a range of opportunities for you to develop your coaching practice as well as increasing remit and adding disciplines.
For our highly experienced coaches the new framework will offer the opportunity to continue to advance your learning and practice. We will be releasing specific units of eLearning this year as well as later in 2024 commencing work on an Advanced Coach offer.
Coach Award Modules
Explore what each module of our new Coaching Framework entails by clicking the below buttons.