The historic Herne Hill Velodrome in London has been the focus of a highly successful campaign to save and regenerate this important facility.
British Cycling has played a central role in this process alongside the Save Herne Hill Velodrome Campaign, landlords Dulwich Estates and local authority, Southwark Council.
British Cycling stepped in to secure the track's future by securing a new lease in 2006 and then funding the resurfacing of the rapidly deteriorating track in 2011. Further development of the facility is now in progress.
The Herne Hill Regeneration Programme
The regeneration programme is structured around three phases:
- Phase One: In 2011 British Cycling secured the Herne Hill Velodrome’s immediate future by negotiating a lease on the site with The Dulwich Estate as landlord. British Cycling then paid for the urgently required resurfacing of the 450m track and fencing repairs that were completed in September 2011.
- Phase Two: The second phase concentrates on developing the facilities at the velodrome. The Herne Hill Velodrome Trust have been granted £400,000 from Southwark Council’s 2012 Olympic legacy fund and are proposing the construction of a junior track, hard-standing area and lighting columns to widen participation.
- Phase Three: The Herne Hill Velodrome Trust has conducted a feasibility study and is seeking to raise funds for the building of a modern new pavilion building on the site.
The Herne Hill regeneration story to date
With the programme well advanced, here are some of the landmarks to date:
- February 2011 - Save Herne Hill campaign gets underway
- March 2011 - Resurfacing work about to start
- June 2011 - New lease paves way for facility re-development
- August 2011 - Resurfacing work underway at Herne Hill
- September 2011 - Herne Hill re-opens after resurfacing
- October 2011 - Funding announced for facility development
- February 2012 - Consultation begins on further facility development
- September 2012 - Herne Hill Velodrome regeneration enters exciting second phase
- February 2013 – Diggers move in to prepare ground for new junior track
- June 2013 – Grand opening of the junior, hard standing area and floodlighting