British Cyclings 'Recognition of Prior Learning and Experience' (RPEL) pathway allows learners to start their learning journey with British Cycling at Level 2 or beyond if learners can demonstrate appropriate knowledge, skills and expertise obtained from elsewhere.
Whilst we strongly recommend coaches and leaders follow the full learning pathway available to them, British Cycling is keen to ensure we enable learners to start their journey with us at the most suitable and appropriate stage.
Who can apply for RPEL?
Those eligible to access courses via the RPEL route will need to be able to evidence one of the following:
- An equivalent Level 1 qualification from any National Governing Body or;
- A Level 2 Certificate in Delivering Cycle Training (achieved from 2019 onwards);
- A foundation degree or above within a relevant field (i.e. Sport Coaching), or;
- A teaching qualification alongside suitable sport delivery experience (i.e. PE/ extra-curricular activties).
- Significant and demonstrable experience as an unqualified assistant, supporting coached cycling activities at a British Cycling Affiliated Club or Approved Delivery Centre.
How do I apply for RPEL and what is the process?
You will need to first complete the form and pay the non-refundable fee of £75.
You will then be directed to complete online modules via British Cycling Learning and submit various documents to evidence experience. These documents include:
- Certificate of prior learning (from one of the options listed above);
- Evidence of session planning, session delivery and evaluation;
- Evidence of conducting a risk assessment.