Defending champions Poole progress to British Team Knockout Cup quarter-finals

Home » Cycle speedway

| |

Location: Sheffield Cycle Speedway, Bochum Parkway, Sheffield
Event: 17 June 2012

Bochum Parkway hosted a hard fought encounter with plenty of exciting racing and thrills and spills to keep the crowd entertained.

Wednesfield started with a 6-4 which was a lead they never surrendered despite the best efforts of the home team. Sheffield managed to keep the scores close with Ryan Hoyland and Matt Smith piling up the points, however the Aces  were that one step ahead all the time.

A superb heat 6 saw Wednesfield’s Chris Jewkes ride a great race to keep the hard chasing Andy Angell at bay which saw the British Champion with only two points from his first two rides. However you can't keep a good champion down and Andy knocked in three straight wins after that. The interval arrived with Sheffield trailing by eight points and little changed until an explosive heat 13 saw two big crashes with first Andy Angell biting the dust then Scott Doughty and Matt Smith coming to grief, with Doughty alleged to be the cause of the stoppage. In the rerun the Stars hammered in a 7-2 with a robust pass by Angell on Wheeler.

With only five points separating the teams we looked set for a grandstand finish however a hard first corner in the next heat saw Aiden Owen come down heavily which resulted in a lengthy delay while he received treatment and eventually was removed to hospital by ambulance.

Lee Smith took a reserve ride which he promptly won but Sheffield could only share the heat. With Wednesfield taking a 6-4 in the next race, the match slipped away from the home team when they could only manage another 5-5. A consolation 7-3 to Sheffield in the final heat rounded off the proceedings.

Although defeated Sheffield can take plenty of positives from the meeting with Ryan Hoyland and Matt Smith in tremendous form, Wednesfield put in a workman like performance and scored solidly from one to eight.

Latest reports indicate Aiden Owen has sustained ligament and tendon damage and could be sidelined for some time.


Sheffield 86: Ryan Hoyland 18+1, Matt Smith 18+1, Andy Angell 14, Chris Turner 11, Lee Smith 10, Jamie Brown 8, Aiden Owen 4, Kyle Holland 3.

Wednesfield 93: Lee Aris 18+1, Ben Mould 16, Chris Jewkes 11+4, Mark Griffiths 10+2, Scott Doughty 10+1, Ricki Johnson 10+1, Luke Draisey 10, Gavin Wheeler 8+1.

British Team Knock Out Cup 1 - Bury v Edinburgh | British Team Championship
Location: Bury Cycle Speedway, Bury
Event: 17 June 2012

Bury hosted their northern rivals in a match contested much closer than the score might suggest.

From the very first bend in heat 1 it was obvious it would be a match with action and some controversy as Bury rider Luke Jamson was left on the dirt with Chris Parish racing away for a win, a 5-5 started the match.

Heat 2 saw more raised voices when Bury captain Neil Howarth hunted down his Edinburgh counterpart Mikey Hewitson, and executed a trademark pit bend pass, with the Edinburgh team not too happy at the distance their captain was drifted out, so a 6-4 saw Bury lead going into heat 3. Heat 3 was re-run and what resulted was a fine win for rising Comet - Will Owens who was followed home by his partner Joe Allen for a maximum score.

The next heat saw Chris Dyson receive an exclusion for excessive force, Parish winning the race to maintain a five point Bury lead. A regulation tapes to line 7-3 for the returning Steve Whitaker and Luke Jamson gave Bury a cushion of nine points which would soon disappear before the interval.

Hewitson raced away for victory and a shared heat 6, and then in heat 7, Jamson urged on by the home side pits clawed back a lot of ground on Neil McPherson and on the last bend dived under, but unfortunately was a bit too late with his timing and ended up aggressively crossing the inside edge and was excluded as a result.  A bizarre Heat 8 saw a collision of riders on the first bend, Paul Dyson was round and away and Howarth was seemingly about to follow when he collided with Callum Slight on the exit of turn one, a bemused Howarth was excluded and the race re-run with Dyson managing to split the Falcons duo with an excellent pass for an Edinburgh 6-3.

Edinburgh clearly had their tails up and were enjoying the atmosphere of the match and the spectators at track side were not disappointed with the racing so far. Heat 9 saw the Falcons go wild as there riders scored a 7-3 over Chris Dyson and Allen to bring the interval score Bury 44, Edinburgh 43.

Half time saw Bury re-group and show why they are unbeaten in the north this season, a heat 10 maximum score from Whitaker/Owens, was quickly followed in the next with another maximum for Paul Dyson and Howarth. Parish maintained his winning ways with a win over Hewitson with Jamson working hard for third place to secure a 6-4, bringing the lead for Bury up to 11 points after 12 heats.

A 6-4 to Owens/Allen over Jake Slight and Chris Lee was followed by the first shared heat of the second half, McPherson showing good form in winning the race from the Dyson duo. Whitaker/Howarth secured a tapes to line 7-3 in heat 15, Slight took the win in heat 16 in fine style with his partner Mark Lee securing third for the Falcons first and only heat win of the second half.

Heat 17 saw parish complete a fine 20 pint maximum, Hewitson spun whilst chasing hard to allow Paul Dyson in to secure a 7-3 for Bury. In the final heat with the result not in doubt, more drama unfolded when Callum Slight closed the gap as Owens tried the inside pass and both came to ground with the Bury youngster flying unceremoniously in the air - Slight being excluded, and Howarth took the win from McPherson for a Bury 6-3 to finish the match.


Bury 99 Edinburgh 77

British Team Knock Out Cup 1 - Poole v Exeter | British Team Championship
Location:  Poole Cycle Speedway, Newfoundland Drive, Poole
Event: 17 June 2012

Defending champions Poole were in no mood for compromise against their West Country rivals in a rather one side first round match with the result never really in doubt. An opening race tapes exclusion to Sam Hearn saw the visitors lead momentarily but from that point it was largely one way traffic as the home side pulled off a succession of 7-3 race wins.

The exception to this was in the races contested by Aaron Herbert and Craig Nethercott who were tracked tactically from the reserve positions. Their 6-4 win in heat 8 was undoubtedly the race of the day. Home captain Pete Young led his team to victory with an unbeaten return and there were also maximum performances from Leyton Glover, Arron Morgan, Oli Sidwick and Thomas Reed. Full credit to Exeter who did not give up at any stage despite missing a couple of their experienced regular team members.


Poole 115: Pete Young 19+1, Thomas Reed 16+4, Oli Sidwick 16+4, Arron Morgan 15+1, Leyton Glover 14+2, Ben Donohue 14+1, Sam Hearn 14+1, Wil Bristowe 7.

Exeter 63: Aaron Herbert 13+1, Craig Nethercott 9, Andy Collett 9, Andy Yard 9, Andy Riddle 7, Lauren Hookway 6+1, Dan Winchester 6, Rob Geech 4.

British Team Knock Out Cup 1 - East Newport v Leicester | British Team Championship
Location: East Newport Cycle Speedway, Newport
Event: 18 June 2012

Visiting “The Polo Mint” track at East Newport is never easy, and despite today’s scoreline the home team didn’t make life easy for the Monarchs.

The visitors got off to a good start with a 6-4 from Peck and Hemsley over Jones but the Eastenders hit back with a 6-4 of their own in the very next heat after Stephenson got into difficulties, falling not once but twice. Heat 3 saw Bock excluded for a ram, Leicester’s top man Howells along with Pike taking maximum points in the awarded race.

Leicester then took another maximum just prior to the interval, Stephenson now getting the hang of the track gladly accepted the hole made by Jarvis to pass Bock and at 51-38 things were looking positive. Stephenson’s exploits were far from over though, heat 12 looked ominous after Ashford gained an exclusion from refer Prince – who incidentally was having an excellent match – leaving Stephenson off grid four. As expected he soon found himself at the back but a superb move down the home straight saw him shoot past his opposition to take the win in fine fashion.

East Newport were well served by Jones and Power, Ryan and Arron Hughes gave support and Bock battled hard for little reward but they couldn’t match the visitors strength in depth. This was particularly evident at reserve where Burns and Jarvis scored some sixteen points more than the home pair. Howells dropped just one point to the opposition for the Monarchs and all his team mates contributed well, remarkably only notching two last places on the track all afternoon.


East Newport 77: R Absolom 8+1, K Jones 16, N Power 16, R Hughes 12, D Bock 8, A Hughes 10, M Davis 4, J Davis 3.

Leicester 100: A Peck 16, D Hemsley 10+1, A Stephenson 16, J Ashford 11+2, D Pike 10+1, P Howells 17+2, C Jarvis 9+2, K Burns 12.

British Team Knock Out Cup 1 - Birmingham v Hethersett | British Team Championship
Location: Birmingham Cycle Speedway, Perry Barr, Birmingham
Event: 17 June 2012

The fact that this match was able to take place as a spectacle owes a great deal to Birmingham track manager Paul Timms whose hours of tireless work gave both sides the chance to race.

Birmingham tracked a full strength team with the exception of Nathan Groves who was still carrying a match ban from the same competition last year whilst Hethersett arrived without heat leader Lee Grange.

Heat 1 started with Marcus Wadhams winning the first of his five rides and it is probably fair that Marcus has not had an easier 20 point haul as he made a mockery of the tricky grids to fly from the tapes to win each ride by the proverbial post code. Heat 2 saw Chris Timms ride a magnificent first bend to get partner Scott Millward around for the first of Birmingham’s 8-7 pointers and an early lead was established.

Heat 3 saw a restart as in the first attempt both Nick Myhill and Paul Adams bit the dust as Jack Harold and Paul Heard raced away. However in the rerun Nick flew from grid one and as Paul Heard did a BMX 360 on the first turn Hethersett gained their first advantage and the deficit was reduced to four points. Heat 4 saw a second win for Wadhams and then Dan Chambers became the second Hethersett rider to take the flag with a flying win over Stu Bentley and Paul Timms – Harley Hamill being unfortunate when in a points scoring position to lose his peddles.

A couple of 5-5s (including Nick Myhills second win of the afternoon) and a couple of Birmingham 7-3s, both featuring Paul Heard, led to an interval score of 52 – 38. After the break Birmingham turned the screw and the after a 5-5 in heat 10 they ran in three consecutive 7-3s, a 6-4 and then another 7-3 to kill the match off. The scoreline did improve for the away team in heat 18 as first Jack Harrold was excluded after tangling with Nick Myhill on the third turn and then in the re-run despite warnings from referee Al Bentley, Chris Timms got his marching orders for ‘not racing’ which was somewhat strange as he did appear clear at the time.


Birmingham 103: Mark Winwood 13+2, Stu Bentley 9, Chris Timms 14+2, Scott Millward 10+1, Paul Heard 15 +2, Jack Harrold 14+1, Marcus Wadhams 20, Paul Timms 8

Hethersett 73: Leigh Cossey 14, Dan Chambers 11+1, Dave Martin 8, Ben Collins 8+1, Nick Myhill 15, Paul Adams 9, Dave Adams 3, Harley Hamill 5+1.

British Team Knockout Cup round 1 round-up

Birmingham 103 Hethersett 73
Bury 99 Edinburgh 77
East Newport 75 Leicester 100
Hellingly 72 Horspath 103
Poole 119 Exeter 63
Sheffield 86 Wednesfield 93
Stockport 2006 116 Newport 63
Swindon 77 Ipswich 103

British Team Knockout Cup quarter-finals draw – To be played Sunday 1 July 2012, 2pm start

Ipswich v Stockport 2006
Leicester v Bury
Poole v Horspath
Wednesfield v Birmingham