British Cycling’s Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award enables experienced mountain bikers to safely guide others on off-road terrain, thus spreading the bug that we all know, is impossible to shake.
The Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award is ideal for anyone with experience in mountain biking, who is either working or looking to work in the outdoor sector or simply has a personal interest in gaining all the information needed to go out on their mountain bike, be safe and have fun. The majority of the training is practical and takes place out on the trail in some of the best MTB areas in the UK.
A practical assessment will follow after a consolidation period of approximately six weeks allowing sufficient time for you to hone all those new skills and knowledge you have obtained during training.
The course covers a wide variety of topics including:
- Planning and delivery of rides that are appropriate for your group.
- Leading techniques for effective group management.
- Map reading and navigation for a flowing journey.
- Management of accidents and emergency situations.
- Equipment set-up and trailside repairs.
- Core mountain bike techniques.
Dates and venues
To attend the training you will need to:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have mountain biking experience in a variety of terrain and weather conditions.
- Be competent in the techniques and skills required to safely negotiate the typical trail features encountered at this level of award (as a general guide this is comparable to red graded purpose built trails).
- Have an appropriate level of physical fitness for a day’s riding in the level 2 leading environment*
- Hold a current two-day outdoor First Aid certificate (this can be handed in at a later date, but must be submitted before assessment). For further details on context and outdoor industry best practice guidelines please see the Institute of Outdoor Learning’s Outdoor First Aid Training Framework
- You will need to provide us with logbook evidence of having undertaken a minimum number of rides in the appropriate terrain within the last 6-12 months. A logbook will be sent to you prior to training.
Assessment for the Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award consists of a practical assessment and a written assignment.
The practical assessment consists of an all-day mountain bike journey during which each candidate will be assigned to lead a section of the assessment route of up to 10km working with a ratio of 1:5. You will be expected to deliver a flowing journey whilst demonstrating good leadership and navigational skills.
The assessment procedure is informal and is designed to help you develop your skills as a mountain bike leader. The group you lead can consist of other riders who are also being assessed on the same day and/ or riders who are there, simply to fulfil the role as participants on the ride.
The written assignment is an open book home study task and comprises of a range of short answer questions. This task is based on the information included in the British Cycling Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Handbook and other resources provided on the course.
Once payment has been received for your assessment place, the assessment questionnaire will be sent to you via e-mail (paper copies are available upon request) and should be returned to your course provider no later than seven days prior to your practical assessment date. Please ensure you allow plenty of time to complete and return the questionnaire before your assessment day.
Registration with British Cycling’s Mountain Bike Leadership Programme
Prior to booking onto a training course you need to pay a one-off cost to register with British Cycling’s MTB Leadership Programme.
We will then provide you with the training manual, log book, free Ride Membership valid for one year and your log in details for the online learning programme NSPCC Child Protection Awareness in Sport and Active Leisure which you need to complete as part of your pre-course work.
Cost of qualification
The awards are delivered by licenced tutors, please contact individual providers for course and assessment costs.
How do I book?
Complete and return the following documents: