Published: 27 September
The programme is designed to offer development support to ambitious young athletes who we feel have the potential to develop into professional athletes. This is currently designed around the Commonwealth disciplines of Road / Track endurance, Road / Mountain Bike endurance and Track Sprint.
What are the Benefits Wales Youth Programme?
Supported athletes will be offered the following development opportunities:
- Individual coaching via a Welsh Cycling Youth Coach;
- Group coaching days;
- Guaranteed invites to Coach Led Racing days.
Supported athletes may be offered National or International competition opportunities (dependent on level of development / needs of athlete).
Who is eligible for Wales Youth Programme 2018 / 19?
Essential - applicants need to be:
- Welsh Eligible (Born in Wales, Parent Born in Wales or resident of Wales continuously for five years prior to application);
- Youth A category 2019 (born 2003 / 2004);
- Competing at a minimum regional level (e.g. Regional Omniums / Track League for Track, local circuit races for Road, Welsh Mountain Bike Series for XCO);
- Able to travel / attend coaching days / holiday residential camp activities (dates & venues tbc).
Desirable - applicants need to be;
- Willing to enter / travel / contest British series events 2019;
How do we select athletes for Wales Youth Programme?
Following application, a panel of Welsh Cycling staff assess applicants potential against the following areas:
- Attitude (willingness to engage with activities / coach / peers / positivity);
- Robustness (ability to train and race through difficult circumstances with a positive attitude);
- Coachability (willingness to engage with coach / absorb and act on feedback);
- Potential (assessed through the attributes listed above an race performances / standout and consistent race results).
How do I apply for Wales youth Programme?
Please complete the linked Google form below. Answer questions in full and honestly.
If you would like an informal conversation regarding Wales Youth Programme please contact Ian Jenkins, programme manager, in the first instance - email@example.com