The foundation coach award is the starting point for your coaching journey in cycling.
If you are new to coaching cycling, have limited coaching knowledge or want to get more involved in your club, then this is the course for you. On completion of this programme you will achieve the Level 1 Award in Coaching Cycling, which is the nationally recognised qualification for coaching cycling.
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Submit evidence that you have an appropriate level of coaching insurance that provides at least the same level of cover as that provided by Race Silver, Race Gold or Ride level British Cycling membership.
- A commitment to complete the learning programme within five weeks.
- Access to the internet and a computer (see system requirements regarding accessibility).
- Valid and current emergency first aid certificate (minimum 6 hours) or equivalent.
The learning programme
This is a blended learning programme that includes e-learning modules (core units) and face-to-face modules (technical units). The e-learning modules will give you the knowledge and tools to enable you to put into practice what you have learnt during the face-to-face days. All components of the programme will need to be completed for you to achieve the Level 1 Award in Coaching Cycling.
Ten modules covering
Your role as a coach
Planning, delivering and evaluating coaching sessions
The sport of cycling, cycling techniques and equipment
Safety and risk assessment
Getting to know your riders
Environment and equipment
Techniques and skill
Practical coaching assessment
Coaching and competition
Feedback and development plan
On successful completion of this programme you will be able to coach bike-handling, group riding and other core cycling techniques to groups of child or adults in a Level 1 coaching environment.
You will have five weeks to complete the full blended learning programme. You will be given access to the printed course resources two weeks after the closing date of the course. You will be required to complete the e-learning modules and Task 1 prior to attending the development day.
You will be assessed via the following tasks:
- Online multiple-choice theory assessment.
- Planning two coaching sessions.
- Conducting and implementing a risk assessment.
- Delivering and evaluating a coaching session.
Other forms of assessment methods can be used.
All assessment is completed during the learning programme, this means you can coach once you have completed all of the required work.
Timetable of courses with available places
|| On-line module available
||Development Day||Assessment Day
|Book Online||4th June 2015||4th July 2015||11th July 2015||Uxbridge|
Register your interest at email@example.com
How to apply
How much does the award cost?
The course costs £260 but there may be some financial assistance available. Please contact us for more information or have a look at our funding pages to see what funding streams are available in your region.
- Laptop or PC with Windows XP or higher, Mac with OS X, or a large tablet.
- Adobe Flash Player installed.
- A broadband internet connection is required to complete this programme.
- An up-to-date internet browser. Our recommended browsers are Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported for use of British Cycling Learning, so you may experience some problems if you choose to use this browser.
- All browsers should have cookies, java, and pop-ups enabled for www.britishcyclinglearning.org.uk.
If you would like to attend the course and have any special learning requirements, please get in touch.
Tel: 0161 274 2060