The starting point for your coaching journey in cycling.
If you are new to coaching cycling, have limited coaching knowledge or want to get more involved in your club, then this is the course for you. On completion of this programme you will achieve the Level 1 Award in Coaching Cycling and be able to coach the essential techniques to groups of riders.
What do you need before you can sign up?
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Valid Emergency First Aid certificate (minimum six hours), or equivalent.
- Commitment to complete the course within five weeks.
- Access to the internet and a computer (see system requirements below regarding accessibility).
The course is a combination of online learning along with two face-to-face training days taking place over five weeks.
Day one is the start of your online learning. You will be required to complete the online modules and a task ahead of the development day four weeks later.
This is an opportunity to put into practice the knowledge you have developed through the online modules.
The final assessment day a week later is also face-to-face day, with practical coaching assessments and opportunities to evaluate and reflect on your coaching.
You will be assessed on the following and are expected to complete the course within the five weeks:
- Online multiple choice theory test
- Planning of two coaching sessions
- Completing a Risk Assessment for a coaching session
- Delivering and Evaluating a Coaching Session
All of the assessment takes place during the five weeks of the course, so this means you will be able to coach once you have completed and passed all of the required work.
Online learning modules will cover topics including
- Your role as a coach
- Planning, delivering and reviewing coaching sessions
- The sport of cycling, techniques and equipment
- Safety and risk assessment
Face to face days – delivered by experienced British Cycling Coach Educators, covering:
- Getting to know your riders
- Environment and equipment
- Warm Up
- Techniques and skill
- Planning and safety
- Practical Coaching Assessment
- Feedback and a development plan
How much does the award cost?
The course costs £280 but there may be some financial assistance available. Have a look at our funding pages to see what is available in your region.
- Laptop or PC with Windows XP or higher, Mac with OS X, or a large tablet.
- A broadband internet connection is required to complete this programme.
- An up-to-date internet browser. Our recommended browsers are Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported for use of British Cycling Learning, so you may experience some problems if you choose to use this browser.
- All browsers should have cookies and pop-ups enabled for www.britishcyclinglearning.org.uk.
Timetable of courses with available places
Please note: The deadline for applications is two weeks before the online module starts.
Online module available
|Course Full||6 May 2016||
4 Jun 2016
|11 June 2016||
|Book Online||27 May 2016||
26 Jun 2016
|3 Jul 2016||
|Book Online||2 Sep 2016||
1 Oct 2016
|8 Oct 2016||
Please contact email@example.com to register your interest if there are no courses currently available in your area.
Tel: 0161 274 2060