Today (8 August) at British cycling we’re celebrating Cycle to Work Day - the UK’s biggest cycle commuting event.
We know that making your first journey to work by bike can at first seem a little bit overwhelming – with questions like how to pack, what to wear and where to keep your laptop preventing many of us from ever ditching the car, bus or train. In fact, according to research by Hawk Incentives, over a third want to cycle to work, but only six per cent do.
That’s why in 2017 we launched CommuteSmart – a series of 13 videos, covering all aspects of cycle commuting, providing people with all the skills and knowledge they need to make their two-wheeled journey to work a breeze.
You can find all of our videos below - and don't forget to share them with your colleagues too!
Commute Smart playlist
The videos cover the following topics:
- The basics of commuting by bike
- How to dress for commuting by bike
- How to be seen when commuting by bike
- How to position yourself on the road correctly when cycling
- How to use your cycling commute as training
- How to plan your cycling commute route
- How to perform a bike check
- How to pack and carry your kit when cycling to work
- How to negotiate simple junctions when cycling
- How to negotiate roundabouts when cycling
- How to filter in traffic when cycling
- How to deal with hazards when commuting by bike
- How to commute by bike whatever the weather
We launched Commute membership last year to support the millions of people that choose to travel to work by bike. For just £37 a year, it provides commuters with £15m liability insurance cover and legal support in the event of a cycling incident.
Commute members also get a free bike service and discounts at major cycling retailers, plus, all membership fees are invested back into cycling projects, so we can campaign on behalf of cyclists across Britain.
Find out more and get your memebrship here.
If you’re one of the thousands of people riding their bike to work today, don’t forget to tweet a snap from your journey using #CycletoWorkDay