Location: Aylsham Town Centre Penfold Street, Aylsham, Norfolk
Event: 13 June 2013
Report: Tour Series
Team UK Youth enter the final day of the 2013 Pearl Izumi Tour Series in Ipswich with a 15 point lead following their seventh win of the season in Aylsham, Norfolk on Thursday night.
UK Youth took their fourth double team and individual victory of the season, as Chris Opie grabbed his second win in a week, followed up by Yanto Barker, Niklas Gustavsson and Marcin Bialoblocki all in the top ten.
The win also sees Team UK Youth equal Endura Racing’s record of seven team victories in one season, set in 2012, with two opportunities at the Grand Final in Ipswich on Friday night to surpass that figure.
One competition that won’t be decided at the final round is the IG Sprint Jersey, which Team Raleigh’s Tom Scully sealed with second place behind Dean Downing in the evening’s IG Sprint competition.
Scully finished the evening second on the road behind Opie, as five riders fought it out for the honours in Norfolk. Initially Scully, Downing and Node4 Giordana’s Roman Van Uden had gone clear of the original quintet, but Opie and Rapha Condor JLT’s Kristian House battled back to the lead group with two laps remaining.
House immediately went on the attack, but was reeled back in, setting up the final dash to the line, with Opie coming out on top. In the space of a week the Cornishman has won at the SweetSpot organised Series’ most diametrically opposite circuits, in Canary Wharf and Aylsham.
The Team UK Youth rider also grabbed the Costa Express Fastest Lap on the final tour of the race.
Highlights of Round Ten will be shown on ITV4 at 10pm on Friday 14 June, with a repeat at 9.55am on Saturday 15 June.
The final round of the 2013 Pearl Izumi Tour Series, organised by SweetSpot Group, take places at Ipswich on Friday 14 June.
The Grand Final features a double-header race day, with a Team Time Trial at 3pm before the final criterium of The Pearl Izumi Tour Series at 7.30pm. Spectators in Ipswich will also have a chance to see the professionals take part in the new Suffolk – Most Active County – Sprint Challenge at 5.30pm.
The Pearl Izumi Tour Series, Round Ten Aylsham, Provisional Results
Round Ten Aylsham, Individual Result
1) Chris Opie, GBR, Team UK Youth
2) Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh
3) Dean Downing, GBR, Madison Genesis
4) Roman Van Uden, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing
5) Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
6) Yanto Barker, GBR, Team UK Youth
7) Niklas Gustavsson, SWE, Team UK Youth
8) Liam Holohan, GBR, Madison Genesis
9) Alex Peters, GBR, Madison Genesis
10) Marcin Bialoblocki, POL, Team UK Youth
Round Ten Aylsham, Team Result
1) Team UK Youth
2) Madison Genesis
3) Team Raleigh
4) Rapha Condor JLT
5) Metaltek - Knights of Old
6) Node4 Giordana Racing
7) Team Hope Factory Racing
8) MG Maxifuel
9) Team IG Sigma Sport
10) Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals
Team Standings, post-Round Ten
1) Team UK Youth, 93pts
2) Team Raleigh, 78pts
3) Madison Genesis, 76pts
4) Rapha Condor JLT, 72pts
5) Node4 Giordana Racing, 67pts
6) Metaltek - Knights of Old, 57pts
7) MG Maxifuel, 42pts
8) Team Hope Factory Racing, 27pts
9) Team IG Sigma Sport, 25pts
10) Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals, 13pts
IG Sprints winner Round Ten Aylsham: Dean Downing, GBR, Madison Genesis
Costa Express Fastest Lap Woking: Chris Opie, GBR, Team UK Youth, 1:40.2
IG Sprints standings, post-Round Ten
1) Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh, 87pts
2) Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT, 53pts
3) Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh, 37pts