Follow britishcycling.org.uk on
Annie Simpson leads Horizon Fitness 1-2 in Oldham
Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series Round 3
Oldham, 9 June 2011
Report: Peter Hodges
Link: Tour Series Oldham Report
Annie Simpson took victory in Round Three of the Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series at Oldham, heading home teammate Dani King and Series leader Helen Wyman from a four rider breakaway group. Fellow escapee Sarah Byrne came home fourth, but took the honours in the evening's sprints competition for her VC St Raphael team.
In front of a large and supportive crowd in Oldham town centre, the new-for-2011 Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series reached its penultimate round. As with the men's race later that evening, the tough town centre course took its toll from the outset, with the 33 rider bunch soon becoming strung out around the 1.1 kilometre course.
Round One winner Hannah Barnes took the honours at the opening sprint of the evening, pipping Hannah Rich to the line, with Wyman in third. With neither Barnes nor Rich scoring at the second sprint and Wyman only taking fourth, Barnes moved back into the lead of the competition, albeit tied on points with Rich, but donning the jersey thanks to her sprint win on the night.
A group of four riders pulled clear as the race reached half distance, containing the two Horizon Fitness
riders, Wyman and Biddulph's Byrne. The four inexorably moved clear, building their lead tour after tour,
lapping much of the field. Behind a chasing group of around ten riders, including Motorpoint and For Viored Brookvex who had both missed the move, kept up pursuit, but with the leaders working well together could make no in roads to their lead.
Come the final lap and Simpson, King and Wyman just eased clear from Byrne in the last few hundred
metres up from Oldham's final corner, with Stoke-on-Trent winner King raising her arms in celebration as
Simpson crossed the line ahead of her in a perfect team performance.
Third place for Wyman, follows seconds in both Peterborough and the Potteries, ensuring she takes a nine point lead over Motorpoint's Lucy Garner to the final round at Woking. The top seven riders remain in contention for the title heading to Surrey, though if any of them are to wrench the jersey from Wyman's shoulders they will have to put a stop to her consistent run of podium finishes. Wyman's title rival Garner led home the remnants of the main field for fifth, ahead of teammate Barnes and
the Horizon Fitness duo of Penny Rowson and Jo Rowsell, with Condory's Nicola Juniper and Corrine Hall rounding out the top ten. For Viored Brookvex duo of Rohan Battison, who remains in the hunt for individual and sprint honours, and Rebecca Curley were the last of the riders to finish on the leading lap.
Highlights of the third round of the Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series will be shown as a part of The Halfords Tour Series highlights on ITV4 at 20.00 on Friday 10th June, with a repeat on Saturday 11th June at 11.00.
The final round of the Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series takes place in Woking at 17.00 on
Tuesday 14th June, where the final winner of the white Johnson Health Tech jersey will be crowned.
Round Three, Oldham, Results
1) Annie Simpson Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
2) Dani King Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
3) Helen Wyman Kona Factory Racing
4) Sarah Byrne VC St Raphael
5) Lucy Garner Motorpoint Pro Cycling
6) Hannah Barnes Motorpoint Pro Cycling
7) Joanna Rowsell Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
8) Penny Rowson Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
9) Nicola Juniper Condor Cycles
10) Corrine Hall Team Corridori / Specialized
Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
Sarah Byrne VC St Raphael
Individual Standings, after Round Three
1) Helen Wyman Kona Factory Racing 64pts
2) Lucy Garner Motorpoint Pro Cycling 55pts
3) Hannah Barnes Motorpoint Pro Cycling 52pts
4) Dani King Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 47pts
5) Penny Rowson Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 46pts
6) Hannah Rich Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 44pts
7) Rohan Battison For Viored Brookvex 44pts
8) Nicola Juniper Condor Cycles 37pts
9) Annie Simpson Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 35pts
10) Joanna Rowsell Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 35pts
Team Standings, after Round Three
1) Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 166pts
2) Motorpoint Pro Cycling 139pts
3) For Viored Brookvex 111pts
4) Condor Cycles 63pts
5) Mule Bar Girls 6pts
Sprint Standings, after Round Three
1) Hannah Barnes Motorpoint Pro Cycling 16pts
2) Hannah Rich Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 16pts
3) Helen Wyman Kona Factory Racing 15pts