Oakley Win For Hannah
Women's Team Race Series - Oakley - 11 July 2009
Report: John Miles
Hannah Rich - Candi TV/Pinarello RT won the latest round of the Women's Team Race Series event held uniquely as part of the Oakley Village Fete Day when she out-sprinted the small group that managed to avoid the serious problem that struck the race with just 2 kilometres to go.
Right: Hannah Rich winning at Blackpool a couple of weeks ago (Image: Andrew Kenneday)
Organised by Scott Holmes with terrific sponsorship from Build Base, Holme Engineering and Fit 4 Life, the riders faced 6 laps of the circuit, for a distance of 82 kilometres, going through the Oakley village each lap to the applause of hundreds of local villagers who enjoyed a full day of entertainment.
The early laps were the usual attrition with riders leaving the bunch by the rear but some riders caught the dreaded puncture bug as overnight rain has washed grit into the roads. With a course that boasted as its highest point the bridge that crossed the motorway it was never easy for riders to get away although there were attacks; the two teams vying to go ahead of Series leaders, Squadra Donne/Bikefood/Luciano, Max Gear RT and Mischief Card.com keep vigil at the front and made sure that breaks were brought back as the finish was always going to be a bunch sprint.
The two mid race primes were taken by Louise Eden, Max Gear RT and Nadine Spearing, Altura Patterson; the first attack went after 30 kilometres but was brought back as were attacks at 32 kms but the one with 40 kms covered by Anna Fischer, Max Gear RT looked like staying away but again it was caught.
Jeanette Tebbutt, Max Gear RT tried with just 5 kms remaining but just as she was caught a crash with 2 kms to go,in the middle of the bunch, brought down 8 riders with the major teams caught in the mayhem so it was left to half the bunch to go for the finish placings with Hannah Rich who flew along the pan flat finish to take the win just beating Charlotte Colclough, Mischief Card.com with team mate for the day Katie Fearnehough in 3rd.
1. Hannah Rich Candi TV
2. Charlotte Colclough Mischief Card
3. Katie Fearnehough Mischief Card
4. Kate Calvert Candi TV
5. Rohan Battison London Dynamo
6. Alex Tyrer Twickenham CC
7. Helen Gutteridge Mischief Card
8. Iona Sewell Squadra Donne/Bikefood
9. Nadine Spearing Altura Patterson
10. Marianne Britten Max Gear RT
11. Genevieve Whitson Swindon RT
12. Stephania Magri Squadra Donne/Bikefood
13. Claire Beaumont London Dynamo
14. Gail Aspden Squadra Donne/Bikefood
15. Jeanette Caldicott Max Gear RT
16. Helen Clayton Mischief Card
17. Louise Eden Max Gear RT
18. Anna Grundy BCF Eastern
19. Liz Chittenden BCF Eastern
20. Alexandra Marzec London Dynamo
21. Kate Scotter BCF Eastern
22. Penny Rowson Mischief Card
23. Tracey Fletcher Mischief Card
24. Angharad Mason Impsport A
25. Sorrelle le Cornu Swindon RC
26. Wiseia Kuczaj Twickenham CC
27 Angaharad Mason Impsport
28 Caroline Harding BC Eastern
29 Angie Thorp BC Eastern
30 Wiesia Kuczaj Twickenham CC
31 Sorelle le Cornu Swindon RC
32 Sharon Dolman Swindon RC.
1. Mischief Card 356 points
2. Candi TV 250 points
3. London Dynamo 170 points
4. Squadra Donne/Bikefood/Luciano 159 points
5. Max Gear RT 137 points
6. BCF Eastern 133 points
7. Swindon RT 84 points
8. Twickenham CC 80 points
9. Altura Patterson 60 points
Category 2/3/4 Mens Event
1. Roger Browne Beeline Bicycles R.T.
2. Mick Fuller Team Quest
3. Richard Wood T.M.K.
4. Justin Radford Python R.T.
5. Darren parker Python R.T.
6. Rob Fletcher Andres
7. Nick Abraham Private member
8. Llewellyn Kinch G.W.R.
9. Pete Smith T.M.K.
10. Tim Rowson J.E. James
11. Tim Carter Team Virgin Active
12. Rafel Radziej ?
13. Duncan Sherwood Hillingdon C.C.
14. Chris Smith Python R.T.
15. Rupert Beale Onelifefugart Racing Team