Location: Birchwood Road Storridge, Malvern
Event: 8 April 2012
Easter Sunday delivered a successful start to the 2012 Back on Track Bash Cross-Country Series.
Despite the best attempts of the weather to hamper course conditions in the week running up to the event, Sunday dawned with drier, if slightly cloudy conditions. The course was tacky under tyre, but with a gentle breeze blowing across the venue and drying out the course things were looking good for an excellent days racing in the woods at Oaken Coppice.
A steady flow of riders signed on and race 1 got underway, promptly at 10.30am with a good turnout of youngsters and adults alike. The Cardiff Jif duo of Matthew Thompson and Adam King took the junior race by the scruff of the neck taking first and second respectively. James Nixon filled third spot denying local Malvern Cycle Sport rider Harry Webb a place on the podium.
A further double act in the form of brothers, Harry and Jack Sowden dominated the youth race with Harry taking the win. In the same race local rider Josh Brooks riding for Malvern Cycle Sport snapped his chain just after the start. By the time he got underway again he was left with a seven minute deficit on the rest of the field. A valiant ride saw him claw his way back to sixth place as he crossed the line.
Very much on home turf, Tracy Moseley took the win in the women’s race and representing the other Malvern based club, Velo Club Sevale, Chris Slinger secured first place in the fun race. Malvern rider Ryan Williamson took first place in juvenile boys.
The under 10s and under 12s on shortened versions of the main race loop provided some exciting and entertaining racing. In fact closest finish of the whole day was in the under 10s race as Luke Harris, Halesowen A & CC and Charlie Griffiths, Climb on Bikes treated everyone to a race for first and second that went to the line with Luke sneaking the win by half a wheel in the sprint. After the efforts of their race, all the children were greeted with the welcome reward of cream eggs for all as they crossed the finish line.
In the senior men’s race in the afternoon Ed Moseley completed a family double taking the win ahead of Phil Morris in the Elite/Expert race, the decisive move coming mid way through the race; Ed taking the A line over the log jump, taking the lead and never looking back.
Steve Ferguson, Team Certini took first place in masters. Simon Lingard ensured the trip from Wales was worthwhile with victory in sport. In Veterans a Dream Cycling one-two was denied by Keith Peters of Worcester Cycle Centre and Tim Stowe, Jewson Mi Racing rounded out the categories with the win in grand veterans.
Many thanks from headline sponsors, Back on Track Bikes, and the organisers to everyone that attended and made it a superb day at a venue that continues to build its reputation as a great place for mountain bike racing. The next round in the series is at Top Barn on 29 April 2012. Racing returns to Storridge for the final round on 19 August.
1. Matthew Thompson Cardiff Jif
2. Adam King Cardiff Jif
3. James Nixon mtb-marathon.co.uk
1. Harry Sowden Clayton Cars/ Bad Ass Bikes
2. Jack Sowden Clayton Cars/ Bad Ass Bikes
3. Alistair Williams Abergavenny RC
1. Rosie Crumpton Halesowen A & CC
1. Ryan Williamson Malvern Cycle Sport
2. Sam Harcombe
1. Charlotte Hubble Halesowen A & CC
1. Tracy Moseley Malvern Cycle Sport
2. Sharon Underhill Halesowen A & CC
1. Chris Slinger Velo Club Sevale
2. Phil Roberts
3. Phil Caunt Cardiff Jif
Under 10 boys
1. Luke Harris Halesowen A & CC
2. Charlie Griffiths Climb on Bikes
3. George Simpson
Under 10 girls
1. Evelyn Higgins-Worrall
2. Claudia Williamson Velo Club Sevale
3. Maddie Williamson Velo Club Sevale
Under 12 boys
1. Hugh Higgins-Worrall Abergavenny RC
2. Louis Brooks Malvern Cycle Sport
3. Andrew Wheatley Halesowen A & CC
Under 12 girls
1. Chloe Williamson Malvern Cycle Sport
2. Hattie Harndon Malvern Cycle Sport
1. Ed Moseley Worcester Cycle Centre
2. Phil Morris XCRacer.com
3. Mark Davies Cycle Coaching Wales
1. Steve Ferguson Team Certini
2. Martin Wright Army Cycling Union
3. Rob Grimes Whiskey & Wheels/ Body Works
1. Simon Lingard Bike Shed Wales
2. David Thomas mtb-marathon.co.uk
3. Ben McCabe
1. Steve Brown Dream Cycling
2. Keith Peters Worcester Cycle Centre
3. Tony Davis Dream Cycling
1. Tim Stowe Jewson Mi Racing
2. Peter Busby Jewson Mi Racing
3. Terry Tuckley WMCCL
Full results available at www.taptiming.com