Tour de Mon
Event: 1 September 2013
Following on from one of Wales' most successful sportives in 2012 the Etape Eryri, Always Aim High Events have this week unveiled the three exciting routes that will take centre-stage to the latest sportive to hit the North Wales cycling calendar, the 2013 Tour de Mon.
The North Wales-based events company announced their entry into the cycle sportive arena to high acclaim in 2012 with the launch of the Etape Eryri. Based in the challenging and highly-popular cycling terrain of Snowdonia, the event was made all the more successful with the attendance of the Team Sky professional cycling team and none other than Sir David Brailsford, who not only attended the event but also took part in the 47-mile Etape Bach event on some of the roads which Sir Dave cut his cycling teeth.
Based on Anglesey and taking place on Sunday 1 September, the Tour de Mon will take in some of the most beautiful and iconic locations on the captivating island of Anglesey. Boasting possibly the most beautiful coastline in the whole of the UK, Anglesey is one of Britain's best kept secrets, and with much of the Tour de Mon visiting the entire Anglesey coastline, cyclists are in for an event to remember this September.
In addition to the three challenging sportive routes on offer, the festival of cycling will also host the 40-mile Trio'r Tour event and the 6-mile family ride, Tour de Teulu. The Tour de Teulu is a beautiful family ride suitable for children who are accompanied by parents or adult friends and will start and finish at the main event centre, enabling riders to be inspired by the big-event atmosphere.
Speaking about the routes, Always Aim High Events director Nigel Kendrick said:
"When we set out to design the routes for the Tour de Mon little did we know just how beautiful some of these roads really are by bike. Having lived on the island for a number of years it is very easy to take this wonderful island for granted. Equally when you think of sportive riding and stunning bike riding, you may well look to the mainland and of course the Etape Eryri. But there is a different beauty about this event. The terrain is more rolling, but don't be deceived as the nature of the roads and the more open aspect of Anglesey certainly makes for some challenging and stunning cycling.
"We have worked hard to make sure that the three routes will be achievable by all standards of rider who come and tackle the Tour de Mon, and the Trio'r Tour / Try the Tour and the Tour de Teulu family ride both ensure that there should be a real cycling festival coming to Anglesey this summer".
One partner who Kendrick is keen to point out as key in making the Tour de Mon happen are the team at Cyngor Sir Fon Anglesey Council, who have been instrumental in facilitating the event. Kendrick continues.
"We are working in partnership with tourism team at Anglesey Council to help promote cycling on this unique island. As well as working closely with all the communities along the various routes to help make sure everyone realises the benefits of this event and the Tour De Mon riders get the best of welcomes. Overall we are very excited and look forward to adding this brand-new event to the Always Aim High Events roster".
The 2013 Tour de Mon has three main distance options on offer, with an additional two events for all abilities:
- Tour Bach 40 – The shortest of the 3 routes at 40 miles, but don’t be deceived, this will be among the most gorgeous 40 miles you will ever ride.
- Tour Canol 75 – A fantastic route mainly taking in the north of Island. With some testing climbs and beautiful scenery it's a great route for those looking for a bit more of a challenge than the Tour Bach.
- Tour Mawr 103 – A stunning 103 mile loop hugging the coast and taking in some of the best roads Anglesey has to offer. There are also some lung busting climbs thrown in to the mix too!
- Trio'r Tour - The same route as the Tour Bach, Trio’r Tour will provide you with the perfect opportunity to try a non-competitive cycle event for the very first time. More support will be available along the length of the route with a dedicated support crew including ride guides.
- Tour de Teulu. A 6 mile ride suitable for children who are accompanied by parents or adult friends.
Entries to the 2013 Tour de Mon are now being taken online via the Tour de Mon entries page