The first half of 2010 has seen the Regional Development Coaches (RDC's) working closely with the dedicated volunteers from Scotland's Go-Ride clubs in the delivery of a varied programme of coaching opportunities for young riders.
With a simplified work programme for 2010 the RDC's are focusing on 5 specific areas of work, these are:
- Club Coaching - Working with our ‘Go-Ride' clubs in the development and delivery of progressive cycle-sport coaching;
- Schools Coaching - Encouraging more youngsters to join Go-Ride clubs and to support the development of school cycling clubs;
- Grass-roots competition - working with clubs and event organisers to host racing opportunities for youngsters;
- Regional and National Schools of Racing - Supporting our talent coaches to provide progression opportunities for young riders;
- Coach mentoring and support - Support the development of volunteer coaches by providing a variety of CPD opportunities.
One of the most significant developments of the year so far has been the growth in the number and variety of grass-roots events for young riders. So far this year the RDC's have been involved in the support and delivery of 29 different events, with over 1000 young racers taking part. These events have covered a variety of disciplines including Mini-Downhill MTB events following on from the success of the first event held in autumn 2009.
In addition to the fantastic Go-Ride club run events, there has also been an increase in the number of school based competitive opportunities. The 5 round Highland Schools MTB series taking place throughout spring, and the inaugural running of the Glasgow Schools MTB Challenge at Cathkin Braes, the 2014 Commonwealth Games MTB Venue, are just two fantastic examples.
Photo: National School of Racing at Ingliston.
The remainder of the year will see a whole host more events taking place including the immensely popular Peebles CC Youth MTB Stage race, the final rounds of the Glasgow youth criterium and dirt crit series, and a lots of racing opportunities as part of the cyclocross season.
For more information please contact your Regional Development Coach. Contact details can be found here.