Scottish Cycling requires all those working with children (i.e. coaches, helpers and chaperones) within a club/team as well as those accompanying children on trips away to attend child protection courses organised through sportscotland.
Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport (CWPS)
CWPS is a basic awareness raising course for coaches, parent/activity helpers, event welfare officers and volunteers working with children and young people. It is the recognised course for child protection training in Scottish sport and must be renewed every 3 years. It is delivered in a blended learning format and comprises of 2 modules:
- Module 1: e-learning, completed first in your own time via Brightspace.
- Module 2: 3-hour, facilitated workshop delivered virtually.
After Module 1 you will be able to:
- Understand what is meant by ‘child wellbeing and protection’.
- Recognise the value of a child-centred approach to child wellbeing and protection.
- Identify good practice in relation to child wellbeing and protection and how this impacts the sports environment.
- Recognise the legislative and policy framework around child wellbeing and protection.
- Identify and respond to possible child wellbeing or protection concerns.
- Identify the limits of your safeguarding role and know when to get support.
After module 2 will be able to:
- Identify and recognise good coaching practice and the implications for your coaching.
- Explore barriers that prevent disclosures.
- Recognise and respond to child wellbeing and child concerns.
- Take appropriate action if concerns about a child arises.
The 2 modules are linked in content, with themes and topics crossing both modules. Module one must be completed before Module two otherwise sportscotland will not issue a certificate of completion.
Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport: Officer Training (CWPO)
CWPO is a 3-hour workshop that supports clubs to put wellbeing & protection policies in to practice. It is most suitable for club Wellbeing & Protection Officers (WPOs), Presidents, Club Chairs and Team Managers.
Attendees will be supported to develop key skills and knowledge required to promote the wellbeing of children and young people in their club/team and respond effectively to concerns. This workshop is aimed at those leading their club/team in this area and therefore case management skills are a significant element of the training. The training must be renewed every 3 years.
- To provide participants with the opportunity to further develop skills in fulfilling their role as Child Protection Officer
- To provide the opportunity for Child Protection Officers to explore well being and protection concerns that may arise within, or outwith, the club/team environment and how to respond effectively
- To help clubs/team implement practices and procedures to keep children and young people safe.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Confidently assess the suitability of an individual to work with children and young people.
- Understand legal responsibilities relating to PVG checks or referrals to Disclosure Scotland and identify who is responsible for this in their setting.
- Respond effectively to wellbeing and protection concerns that may arise in or out-with the club environment.
- Recognise ways in which club culture influences the wellbeing and protection of children and identify methods for effecting cultural change in this important area.
- Recruitment and selection.
- Responding to child protection and well-being concerns.
- Information sharing.
- Fact finding and case referrals.
- An introduction to PVG.
- If you have a BrightSpace account then please login to download your certificate which will become available a few days after your course
- BrightSpace (please use the following browsers - Chrome, Firefox, Edge (not Internet Explorer). Your username will be Firstname.Surname.
- To access certficates, click on 'My Brightspace', then 'Awards', on this page you will find all of your training certificates completed through Brightspace. Click download and email this to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you do not have a Brightspace account, please contact us.
Safeguarding Courses - across sport
SportScotland Training Calendar - here you will find additional courses, in the case that Scottish Cycling Courses are full