The Sam Walton Memorial Border Trophy Road Race
Location: Netherwitton Village Hall, Netehrwitton, nr Morpeth, Northumberland
Event: 19 August 2012
Sam Walton was a very popular member of the Barnesbury Cycling Club, who tragically died in a motorcycling accident in July 2000. Sam was Barnesbury junior BAR in 1989, club hill climb champion in 1992, 1993 and 1999, club road race champion in 1992 and 1999, Barnesbury BAR in 1989, 1990 and 1999. He also won several national student titles and was both N&DCA and Manchester & Ditrrict BAR.
Riders are to assemble behind the lead cars and assistant commissaire 200 yards east of Netherwitton village on the flat stretch of road.
The race will be neutralised for approximately 1/4 mile as it heads west back into Netherwitton and takes first left to START at ‘The Trench’ on unclassified road. The race heads east towards LONGWITTON (2 miles) and continues to Rothley cross roads, where turn left and south to SCOTS GAP (6 miles). Head east along B643 to Hartburn (CAUTION!), Dyke Neuk (11 miles) to MITFORD (15 miles).
Turn sharp left in Mitford (CAUTION!) and uphill (St. Leonard’s Lane) and continue in a westerly direction through PIGDON (18 miles) and back to Netherwitton (22 miles). This time, continue north through Netherwitton, up RITTON BANK PRIME (25 miles) to Forestburn Gate (EXTREME CAUTION ON FAST DESCENT!!) where turn sharp left (CAUTION!) and head south on B6342 over COLDRIFE PRIME (28 miles), continue south to Rothley cross roads where turn right along B6342 to Harwood junction (signposted Elsdon) where right and along Gibbet road to ELSDON (39 miles), bear right and head east along B6341 for approximately four miles where turn left at junction signposted ‘Sharperton’.
Bear right all the time and loop back onto B6341 and head back west through Hepple (52 miles) over BILSMOOR PRIME (57 miles) through Elsdon and up the GIBBET PRIME (61 miles), continue east to Harwood junction where turn Right along B6342 to Cambo (66 miles) where turn left and continue east through Scots Gap, HARTBURN (70 miles) back to Mitford (76 miles), where take sharp left up hill (CAUTION!), heading west, retracing route through Pigdon and back to FINISH apx. ¼ mile before Netherwitton village on flat stretch of road. TOTAL RACE DISTANCE = 85 miles (apx). Points are awarded down to 20th place.
Rider / Club / Team Cat
1. Kit Gilham HERBALIFE-LEISURE / LAKES BIKES.COM E
2. Andrew Hawdon HERBALIFE-LEISURE / LAKES BIKES.COM E
3. Simon Baxter HERBALIFE-LEISURE / LAKES BIKES.COM 1
4. Alastair Kay HERBALIFE-LEISURE / LAKES BIKES.COM 1
5. Thomas Timothy VELO 29 – OTR – VANKRU 2
6. Daniel Smith VELO 29 – OTR – VANKRU 1
7. Ronald McWiliam RAF 3
8. Michael Kinight TEAM HOPE FACTORY RACING 3
9. Ewan Minty BERWICK WHEELERS CC 3
10. Julian Judge VC LINCOLN 3
11. Richard Jones ACHIEVECYCLECOACHING.CO.UK 2
12. Matty Cooper ACHIEVECYCLECOACHING.CO.UK 3
13. Jack Rees ACHIEVECYCLECOACHING.CO.UK
14. Ian Taylor ADEPT PRECISION RT 1
15. Karl Juan Denton BLUMILK.COM 2
16. Nicholas Spencer GOSFORTH RC 2
17. Christopher Daddy SQUADRA RT 1
18. Jamie Caldwell CYCLE PREMIER – KOVERT E
19. Matthew France SUNDERLAND CLARION CC 3
20. Michael Sloanes SUNDERLAND CLARION CC 2
21. Patrick Pennefather BEACON WHEELERS 2
22. Carl Donaldson BREEZE BIKES 3
23. James Alder VC BRIGANTI / CYCLEWAYS RT 2
• The race allows entry on the line. As usual, several more riders are expected to sign on the line.
• This is a National B Road Race, therefore BC points are awarded down to 20th place.
• Free refreshments will be provided after the event in Netherwitton Village Hall.
• Prize presentation to be held after the race in Village Hall.
• PARKING – Please try to park on the road leading out from Netherwitton towards Longwitton (part of race neutral section) in order to avoid congestion in the village centre.