British Cycling bike insurance: FAQ

British Cycling bike insurance: FAQ

Home » Membership

British Cycling Bike Insurance has prepared an extensive range of frequently asked questions, which will hopefully answer any questions you have about the range of cover their policies provide.

Get a quote 

Q: What does British Cycling Bike Insurance’s Accessory cover include?

A:  If you select the Accessory cover, you will then be covered for Theft and Accidental Damage for your cycle related accessories.  As well as theft from your home (sometimes referred to as your insured location), you will also be covered when out and about as long as your kit is with you.

Q: What items would be included in the cover?

A: Most of your accessories can be included in the cover. When taking out the policy, you simply select your required total value (known as sums insured) to cover what you have. 

The list of items that you can cover includes cycling specific: helmets, hats or caps, shoes, overshoes, jerseys or vests, base layers, gilets, gloves, glasses & goggles, jackets, shorts, bib shorts, bibs, biblongs, tights, trousers, socks, wetsuits used exclusively for Triathlons, warmers, compression clothing, backpacks, water bottles and cages, hydration packs, cameras specifically designed for cycling and mounted to a helmet, frame or handlebars; cycling computer; cycling GPS unit, lights, cycle luggage, panniers, saddle bag, cycling tools, cycling armour & guards.  So as you can see it’s a pretty wide range.

Q: What about if the items are lost rather than stolen?

A: As standard you would only be covered for Theft where forcible and/or violent means have been used to remove the items from your possession, so genuine loss is not included. 

Q: How can British Cycling Bike Insurance help a cyclist who is not able to race due to injury?

A:  As part of your British Cycling Bike Insurance policy, it is possible to include cover for Race Entry Fees.

This cover means that you would be able to claim for reimbursement for your entrance fee for an organised event endorsed by a recognised national sporting association or event organiser as a result of being unable to attend because of Illness or Injury subject to the limits included on your policy.

Obviously we would urge cyclists to contact the event organisers initially to seek a refund or transfer their entry to an alternative event where they could. However we are there to support those cyclists where this is not possible.

Q: Are there any other circumstances where Insurance cover can support a cyclist with a refund on entry fees where perhaps the event organiser may not be able to?

A:  There are.  Our Race Entry Fee cover can also come in to force where a cyclist is subject to cancellation of leave for national forces or police or the fire, rescue, public utility or medical services which then requires them to work on active duty or travel to or from active duty on the day of the race event.

The cover also applies where adverse weather conditions results in full cancellation of the event or where major damage or burglary at the cyclist’s home or place of work requires them to attend.

As with illness or injury, we would urge cyclists to speak with the race or event organisers in the first instance, but if they are unable to help, our cover is there.

Q: What about when cyclists are racing abroad?

A: Providing the cyclist has selected the appropriate level of cover to extend their policy to cover them when travelling or competing either in the EU or worldwide, then the same level of cover will be in place as if they were racing in the UK.

Q: Are there any situations where a cyclist wouldn’t be able to make a claim for their Race Entry Fee?

A: As with all insurance policies, there are limits and exclusions that are in place, we would always urge cyclists to read the policy wording carefully before purchasing.

With this particular area of cover, our friendly contact centre is available to answer any queries you have on specific terms and conditions.

Q: Why do cyclists need specific insurance when travelling abroad?

A:  Most people will think about taking out travel insurance to cover themselves when going abroad.  If you are taking your bike and other cycle related kit with you, what about them?  Those items are still open to damage or theft as they could be when you use them at home. Therefore, making sure they are suitably covered is just as important, particularly if you are competing.

Our policy has the option for you to extend cover to the EU or even worldwide so you can extend the same broad range of cover that you are eligible for at home for when you are travelling.

Q: Are there any restrictions with regard to how a bike should be transported?

A: With regard to transporting bikes on an aeroplane, it is broadly common sense.  We require that your bike is transported in a purpose built transportation system, whether that is a bike box or bag is up to you.  Providing it is in sound working order prior to you starting your journey, it is packed in accordance to the manufacturer’s guidance and fastened securely then your policy remains in force.

Q: What about if a cyclist’s hotel is broken in to and their bike or other kit is stolen?

A: Providing that you have selected the appropriate extension on your insurance policy to cover the country that you are staying in then your policy terms will still apply.  We have tried to make things as simple as possible for our customers, knowing that travel can be a big part of life as a cyclist.

Q: What are the main differences between household insurance and specialist Cycle insurance?

A:  It’s difficult to say as home insurance covers relating to cycles and sports equipment differ from one provider to another.  However, if you do rely on your home insurance to provide protection for your bike and other cycle related kit, it’s really important that you read the policy wording in detail to check for any restrictions on cover. 

Depending on the amount you train and compete, the value of your bike and other accessories, it may be that your home insurance cover is adequate for your needs. If not, then you should definitely consider specialist options.

Q: What sort of things should cyclists look for in their home insurance cover to check whether it is suitable?

A: There are a number of key areas of cover that you should look at specifically.  Things like; whether your bike will be protected away from the home or abroad, the value of your bike against the maximum allowed on your policy, cover for you and your kit whilst competing, the excess that will be applied when you make a claim and the impact this will have on your wider household policy, are you protected for Public Liability, how would your claim be dealt with if you had to make one?

In short, your household policy may provide you with some level of protection, but you need to be sure that it is a) enough to meet your needs and b) will provide you with the right solution when you need it – i.e. at the point of a claim.

Get a quote