Commonwealth Games Federation announces increased event programme at Gold Coast 2018.
Welsh Cycling welcomes the announcement of the largest-ever para-sport programme in Commonwealth Games history, comprising up to 300 para-athletes and 38 medal events across 7 sports, which will be showcased at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Matt Ellis and pilot Ieuan Williams won the first Welsh cycling medal at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, a bronze in the Men's Tandem B2 1000m Time Trial. Gold Coast 2018 will include Men’s and Women’s Sprint B and VI and 1000m Time Trial B and VI.
Matt Cosgrove, Performance Director at Welsh Cycling commented: “We welcome the inclusion of the Para Cycling programme at the Commonwealth Games in 2018. We are proud of the achievements of all our athletes, and hope to continue the success of the 5 medals won in Glasgow 2014 on to the Gold Coast in 2018.”
The release of the event list is timed to celebrate the launch by the Commonwealth Games Federation of the 2016 theme of an Inclusive Commonwealth across 71 nations and territories. Today’s announcement represents an increase of 45% more athletes and 73% more medals compared to the record-breaking para-sport competition at Glasgow 2014.
The sports being contested by para-athletes at Gold Coast 2018 will be Athletics, Cycling (Track), Lawn Bowls, Powerlifting, Swimming, Table Tennis and Triathlon.
There will be an equal number of men’s and women’s events across all 7 para-sports, further demonstrating the Commonwealths Sports Movement’s commitment to equality and inclusion.
The Commonwealth Sports Movement’s first-ever ring-fenced quota system for para-sport athletes, implemented as part of Transformation 2022’s Sports Programme innovations, also ensures that Commonwealth Games Federation’s member associations are supported and subsidised to send larger para-sport teams to Gold Coast 2018 than ever before.
A sports movement committed to equality, para-sports are an integrated and inclusive part of the daily sports programme and medal table at the Commonwealth Games. They were first integrated in 2002 at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester.
The 38 para-sport events for Gold Coast 2018 are:
• Aquatics (Swimming): (W) S8 50m Freestyle, S9 100m Freestyle, SB9 100m Breaststroke, SM10 200m IM, S7 50m Butterfly, S9 100m Backstroke / (M) S9 100m Freestyle, S9 100m Backstroke, S7 50m Freestyle, SB8 100m Breaststroke, SM8 200m IM, S14 200m Freestyle
• Athletics: (W) T54 Marathon, T54 1500m, T38 Long Jump, T38 100m, T35 100m, F46 Javelin / (M) T54 Marathon, T54 1500m, T12 100m, T38 100m, T47 100m, F38 Shot Put
• Cycling (Track): (W) Sprint B&VI, 1000m Time Trial B&VI / (M) Sprint B&VI, 1000m Time Trial B&VI
• Lawn Bowls Men/Women: B2/B3 Mixed Pairs and B6/B7/B8 Open Triples
• Powerlifting: (W) Lightweight, Heavyweight / (M) Lightweight, Heavyweight
• Table Tennis: (W) TT10, (M) TT10
• Triathlon: (W) PT1, (M) PT1