Selection Criteria for Wales' Commonwealth Games Team 2010
This document outlines the selection criteria for the cycling component of Team Wales for the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games. The objective of the selection criteria is to ensure only the most competitive cyclists are selected and that the maximum number of cycling medals are won.
The Commonwealth Games Council for Wales (CGCW) will need to be satisfied that all selections have real medal potential, or can contribute towards the delivery of a medal. The final number of cyclists selected will be dependant on the overall team size as determined by the CGCW.
A nominated Team Wales rider can be entered for any cycling event, not just the event they have been specifically selected for. The team size restriction will result in a significant amount of ‘doubling up' in events.
All Team Wales nominations will be based on the professional judgement of the selection panel. The Wales Cycling Team Selection Panel will comprise British Cycling Coaching Staff and Welsh Commonwealth Games Team Manager, and will be chaired by the Welsh Cycling Performance Director. Additional expert guidance will be sought from Sports Council for Wales staff.
The Selection Panel will take full account of:
- A rider's current UCI World Ranking.
- Race Performances from the 31st October 2009 - 27th June 2010.
- Specific nature of the Commonwealth Games courses (Road & TT)The profile of riders already selected to ensure optimal team composition.
- Young competitive riders, with real medal potential, who would benefit from the experience of a Commonwealth Games and are considered medal prospects at Major Area Championship level in the near future.
Nominated riders will be put forward to the CWGW Selection panel who will select all athletes for the Delhi 2010 games.
Selected riders will be expected to submit to the British Cycling programme of regular blood tests. These are designed to screen for specific medical problems, but can/will also be used to reinforce the British Cycling strict Anti Doping Policy.
Selected riders may be required to undergo physiological and/or medical assessment in the period between the selection date and the event. This will be to confirm fitness following injury, illness or a period of marked under-performance. All physiological assessment will be conducted at the Welsh Institute for Sport by British Cycling Staff or Sports Council for Wales Staff.
In addition the CGCW reserve the right to require a medical examination by the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) prior to Commonwealth competition. Should the CMO declare an athlete unfit to compete the CGCW in its absolute discretion have the right to de-select the athlete.
If a selected rider is unable to compete for any reason, substitute selections will be at the discretion of the Wales Cycling Team Selection Panel and the CGCW.
To take part in the Commonwealth Games as part of Team Wales, each rider shall:
- Hold a valid international racing licence issued by a National Federation affiliated to the UCI.
- Be at least 18 years old for track events, 19 years old for road and time trial events or reach this age in the year of the Commonwealth Games.
- Satisfy the Commonwealth Games Eligibility Criteria to compete for Wales.
In accordance with UK Sport's Doping Control strategy, their Doping Control Directorate will be provided with the dates and venues for all Team Wales activities and training sessions to assist with their anti-doping programme. All athletes selected for Team Wales must consent to random, out of competition drug testing.
Final Nominations will be made by 30th June 2010.
If clarification of any specific selection issue is required, please contact the Commonwealth Games Team Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org