Frequently asked questions


When should I put my event on?

The region will have a date-fixing meeting around October time every year where the main events and series for the following year will be decided. It is advisable to check your preferred dates as far in advance of your event as possible as the calendar will be busy.

Where are the road circuits in my region? 

The region will usually have a list of courses that have previously been used and risk assessed. If you want to use a new circuit, it will have to be risk assessed first and you should talk to your RCA or REO. Existing circuits will have a village hall or similar nearby which can act as the event HQ.

Who appoints the officials for my event? 

It will depend on how your region works as to how the officials will be appointed to the event. Usually the RCA will appoint the commissaire team and will liaise with the police regarding the event. This is to ensure there is a consistent approach across events.

Where do I get race equipment from? 

The region will have a supply of flags, signs, numbers, etc to loan to new organisers and some large clubs have their own supplies which they may hire out. Race officials will often have their own radios although again, the region may have some spare sets. If you wish to buy your own equipment, it’s worth combining forces with a couple of other local clubs to share the cost.

What volunteers do I need on race day? 

This depends on whether you are running a road or circuit event but usually you will need more volunteers for a road race. In a road race you are likely to need marshals, lead car drivers, drivers for the commissaires, sign on stewards, gear checkers and judges. In circuit events you won't usually have a convoy so won't need drivers. For larger events you may have additional volunteer roles including announcers, guest and press car drivers to name a few. Where possible have a few extra volunteers in case any can't make the event. 


How do I manage entries? 

The British Cycling online entry system allows you to see at a glance the entries received along with their club and category. Most races are run on an organiser managed field basis where you select the entrants after the closing date based on your criteria for that particular event. Examples of how you might do this include selecting entrants based on their category, whether or not they’re members of a local club/league or their racing history.

How do I register my event?

Registering your event with British Cycling is very simple. You will need to complete an event registration and an application of Permit. This can be completed online through the Event Management System which can be accessed via your membership login dashboard.

Who informs the police of my event?

The Regional Competition Administrator will inform the police on the behalf of an organiser. Once an organiser has sent the event registration and application of permit forms through to the RCA, they will send details of the event through to the key constable who agrees such events in the region.   

What classification of racing should I organise?

The classification of racing offered in an event is entirely up to the organiser. However there are minimum requirement that an event must abide to in order to meet the standards of the point bandings available. The requirements differ between classifications along with the cost of registering the event. More information regarding the Event Classification System can be found here.  


What do I do with parental consent forms?

Organisers will need to ask for parental consent forms for all riders who aren’t British Cycling members. Forms will need to be submitted to the Regional Competition Administrator along with the signing on sheets.


How do I get Accredited Marshals on my race?

First of all check with your Regional Events Officer to confirm whether you are able to use accredited marshals on the circuit you will be running your event on as some counties and constabularies have not agreed to the scheme at this moment. If you wish to use accredited marshals on your race contact the Regional Competition Administrator. They will then decide with the Regional Events Officer whether you event can be supported by the accredited marshal team in the region.


Where do I send race levies?

All road race levies are sent through to the Regional Competition Administrator using a levy form.

How much do I charge for a day licence?

Day licences can only be bought by riders if the classification of the race is of regional level. You can see the cost of day licences by following link here.

What is the difference between a ranking race and Go-Ride Racing?

Go-Ride racing is entry level competition for novice cyclists under the age of 16. The racing is provided to help young people make the gradual transition into competitive cycling. A British Cycling race licence is not required for to race as this type of racing is directly aimed at novice racing cyclists.


Ranking races offer the opportunity for riders to earn points in order to progress riders to a rider category within the British Cycling system. At youth level, points are used in gridding riders at national events. More details on rider ranking can be found here.