Chris Opie took his first ever Pearl Izumi Tour Series victory, winning the bunch sprint at Canary Wharf, heading home Olympic Champion Ed Clancy and New Zealander Roman Van Uden.
The Cornishman’s win, with teammates Marcin Bialoblocki, Tobyn Horton and Yanto Barker taking fourth, fifth and sixth to secure Team UK Youth’s fifth team win of the 2013 series.
The victory, combined with sixth place on the night for nearest challengers Team Raleigh, moved UK Youth ten points clear with four rounds, including the Grand Final double-header at Ipswich, remaining.
Madison Genesis, who took victory in the night’s curtain raising Cyclist Magazine Canary Wharf Corporate Grand Prix alongside the Madison corporate team, lie third a further two points in arrears on 61.
Opie also took out the evening’s Costa Express Fastest Lap, recording a 1:13.3 on the final tour, and won the evening’s IG Sprint’s competition, with Raleigh’s Tom Scully remaining the overall leader and wearer of the IG Sprint jersey.
Highlights of round eight in Canary Wharf presented by Cyclist Magazine will be shown on ITV4 at 10pm on Friday 7 June, with a repeat at 8am on Saturday 8 June.
Round Nine of The Pearl Izumi Tour Series takes place in Woking, as the Surrey venues host the Series for a fifth successive year, on Tuesday 11 June, for the start of the final week of racing, including events at Aylsham, Norfolk (Thursday 13 June. and Ipswich, Suffolk (Friday 14 June).
Round eight Canary Wharf presented by Cyclist Magazine, individual result
1. Chris Opie, GBR, Team UK Youth
2. Ed Clancy, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
3. Roman Van Uden, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing
4. Marcin Bialoblocki, POL, Team UK Youth
5. Tobyn Horton, GBR, Team UK Youth
6. Yanto Barker, GBR, Team UK Youth
7. Dan Barry, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing
8. David McGowan, GBR, Metaltek - Knights of Old
9. Jack Pullar, GBR, Madison Genesis
10. Tom Murray, GBR, Metaltek - Knights of Old
Round eight Canary Wharf presented by Cyclist Magazine, team result
1. Team UK Youth
2. Node4 Giordana Racing
3. Rapha Condor JLT
4. Madison Genesis
5. Metaltek - Knights of Old
6. Team Raleigh
7. MG Maxifuel
8. Team Hope Factory Racing
9. Team IG Sigma Sport
10. Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals
Team standings, post-round eight
1. Team UK Youth, 73pts
2. Team Raleigh, 63pts
3. Madison Genesis, 61pts
4. Rapha Condor JLT, 57pts
5. Node4 Giordana Racing, 53pts
6. Metaltek - Knights of Old, 46pts
7. MG Maxifuel, 35pts
8. Team Hope Factory Racing, 21pts
9. Team IG Sigma Sport, 20pts
10. Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals, 11pts
IG Sprints winner round eight Canary Wharf presented by Cyclist Magazine: Chris Opie, GBR, Team UK Youth
Costa Express Fastest Lap Canary Wharf: Chris Opie, GBR, Team UK Youth, 1:13.3
IG Sprints standings, post-round eight
1. Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh, 63pts
2. Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT, 50pts
3. Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh, 37pts