British Cycling Olympic Podium Programme athlete Ed Clancy took his second consecutive Pearl Izumi Tour Series win at round five in Torquay, pipping Dean Downing after battling through from eight back in the sprint out of the final corner.
Clancy gave Downing further reason to be aggrieved, as he draws level with the Madison Genesis rider as the most successful individual in Pearl Izumi Tour Series history, with both riders on five wins a piece since the unique team based series was created in 2009.
Downing hit out with 250 metres to go, but the double Olympic champion pegged him back, taking the lead just feet from the finish line. There was consolation for the Madison Genesis team however, as they finished third behind Team UK Youth on the night to move into second in the standings.
UK Youth stretch their Series lead to five points, with Madison Genesis one ahead of Team Raleigh and Rapha Condor JLT a further two in arrears in fourth.
For the first time in the 2013 Pearl Izumi Tour Series the field remained together throughout the race held on South Devon’s Beautiful Bay. With five laps to go Rapha Condor JLT hit the front and began to wind up the pace with Team UK Youth taking over in their red Pearl Izumi Tour Series leader’s jersey.
Wilkinson led the sprint out from the final hairpin, but as he began to fade Downing took over, only for Clancy to slide past in the closing metres having battled his way through the pack.
Behind the leading duo, Liam Stones picked up an excellent third for MG Maxifuel, helping them to fourth on the night, with Chris Opie and Wilkinson taking fourth and fifth to help Team UK Youth to team victory.
Clancy also once again took the Costa Express Fastest Lap on the final tour of the Torquay event, while Alexandre Blain retained the IG Sprints jersey, winning the IG Sprint competition in round five to end the night seven points clear in the standings.
Round five Torquay, individual result
1. Ed Clancy, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
2. Dean Downing, GBR, Madison Genesis
3. Liam Stones, GBR, MG Maxifuel
4. Chris Opie, GBR, Team UK Youth
5. Ian Wilkinson, GBR, Team UK Youth
6. Felix English, IRL, Rapha Condor JLT
7. Alex Peters, GBR, Madison Genesis
8. Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh
9. Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh
10. Will Bjergfelt, GBR, MG Maxifuel
Round five Torquay, team result
1. Team UK Youth
2. Rapha Condor JLT
3. Madison Genesis
4. MG Maxifuel
5. Team Raleigh
6. Metaltek - Knights of Old
7. Node4 Giordana Racing
8. Team IG Sigma Sport
9. Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals
10. Team Hope Factory Racing
Team standings, post-round five
1. Team UK Youth, 46pts
2. Madison Genesis, 41pts
3. Team Raleigh, 40pts
4. Rapha Condor JLT, 38pts
5. Node4 Giordana Racing, 28pts
6. Metaltek - Knights of Old, 25pts
7. MG Maxifuel, 22pts
8. Team IG Sigma Sport, 15pts
9. Team Hope Factory Racing, 12pts
10. Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals, 7pts
IG sprints winner round five torquay: Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh
Costa express fastest lap torquay: Ed Clancy, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT, 2:15.05
IG sprints standings, post-round five
1. Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh, 37pts
2. Kristian House, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT, 30pts
3. Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh, 28pts