Isle of Wight Cycling Festival
Event Date: 19th-27th September 2009
This year's Isle of Wight Cycling Festival, which is organised by Isle of Wight Council, will be held between 19 - 27 September. The annual event has grown in popularity over the years with more than 4500 cyclists taking part in this year's festival.
The 2009 event will feature dozens of routes and challenges for participants including the famous 70 mile Cycle the Wight and the ultra-tough Hills Killer Mountain Bike challenge. For the not-so-serious cyclist, the traditional Sink or Swim Cycle Race - where participants build their own floating bikes and try and get across the River Medina without sinking - will also return.
Saturday 19th September
- Festival launch event with cycling displays activities and entertainment for the whole family. Including the crazy Sink or Swim challenge and Team Extreme BMX shows.
- Wight Challenge a 20 mile mountain bike ride, 3 mile open canoe and 8 mile run in teams of three, raising money for charity.
Sunday 20th September
- Cycle the Wight 70 Mile road ride, shorter 50 mile and 15 mile family routes also available. Supported by the British Heart Foundation.
- West Wight Triathlon - Pool Swim 600m - Bike 35km - Run 7.5km. Friendly welcome and stunning scenery. The cycle is along the spectacular Military Road.
Saturday 26th September
- Go Ride training day and British Cycling event. An action packed day with British Cycling Federation coaches on hand to help with riding and race skills.
Sunday 27th September
- Hills Killer mountain bike challenge. Choose from 13, 26 or 52 mile courses and take on the challenge of an orienteering event against the clock as you pit your bike against the 3, 7 or 14 Hills.
Festival programme 2009
The full programme of all rides will be available in June. See the website for the full range of events and view the photo gallery of previous Isle of Wight Cycling Festivals.
More information regarding the annual Isle of Wight Cycling Festival can be found at www.sunseaandcycling.com or call the events team on 01983 823070