- Event URN:
- Start date:
- Sun, 31st Aug 2014
- Event Type:
- Cycle Sportive (Non-Competitive)
- Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit Claypit Lane, Westerton, Chichester, PO18 0PX ( View map )
- Online Entry FAQs
- Info for Riders:
- Three sportives on offer: 35, 50 or 70 miles starting off by doing one lap of the motor circuit and then off around the lanes from Goodwood over to Compton areas.
- Preview Rides:
Date Start Ride name Grade BCG Duration 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Biking Belles Challenge --- --- 112km / 70m 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Flying Belles --- --- 80km / 50m 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Starting Belles --- --- 56km / 35m
This will be a fantastic event and the first of its kind at Goodwood.
The Chichester based ladies cycling club, The Biking Belles have joined forces with British Cycling who bring with them years of experience.
Entries will be accepted on the day but the cost will increase by £5 per entry.
The event opens at 8am with three sportives (35, 50 and 70 miles), all competitiors will do one lap of the Goodwood circuit and then leave to complete their sportives in the surrounding Sussex area.
Following their departure, the circuit will open at about 10am to the general public (women only) to cycle around and receive training from British Cycling.
As from 1pm we have the Elite National Womens Racing - the highlight of the day and we are hoping for top women cyclists to enter. The first race will be the Lady March Grand Prix.
Early bird entries are now being accepted online at the British Cycling website: www.britishcyling.org.uk
We’re selling retail space at the circuit and are hoping local businesses will get involved and support this local event.
The event is supporting Boot Out Breast Cancer - www.bootoutbreastcancer.org.uk. A great little charity run by a team of enthusiastic women raising funds for much needed equipment in the treatment of breast cancer
The sportives departure times are as follows:
70m route - 8am - 8.30am
50 m route - 8.30am - 9am
35m route - 9am - 9.30am
There will be a sportive briefing at 7.30am at the sportive registration desk.
For further details please contact:
|Date||Start||Distance||BCG||Est. Field Size|
|31 Aug 14||08:00||112km / 70m||---||100|
The sportive briefings will take place at 7.30am at the sportive registration area.
Departure times as follows:
70m - departs between 8am - 8.30am
50m - departs between 8.30am - 9am
35m - departs between 9am - 9.30am
Plus one lap of the Goodwood motor circuit
Due to some gravelly lanes we have had to amend the route slightly, as follows:
You will complete one lap of the Goodwood motor circuit then leave to follow this route...
Here's the 35m route, in addition to this you will complete one lap of the circuit before leaving to complete the route in the surrounding countryside
There is a small section of this route which has, at the moment, loose stones on the lane, as you turn off the Chilgrove road towards the Mardens. All participants will be emailed prior to the event date and there will be clear signs warning of any problems ahead.
50m sportive risk assessment (inc part of the 70m sportive also)
Date: 29/08/2014 13:16
Source: Val Harper
50m and 70m Grand Prix sportives – Risk Assessment – 2014
To note: the 50m and 70m routes are together until they reach 27m which is in South Harting. Here they part company.
2.4m is the distance of the circuit, depart the circuit as follows:
Start your clock at 0 miles at exit of the motor circuit.
- Turn left at exit of motor circuit
- .22m straight across the roundabout. Signs just before the roundabout and at the roundabout and after
- 2.1m turn right – x2 signs at the turning (50&70)
- 3.7m at crossroads put reminder signs to go straight on (50&70)
- Midway along this road put reminder signs (50&70)
- 5.9m at T junction turn left signs for 50 & 70. We also need the large ‘Cycle Event Signs’ put as motorists approach from the left / Halnaker direction
- 7.8m x2 signs on the bus stop sign (50 & 70)
- 10.1m on the school sign x2 signs (50 & 70)
- 10.9m a reminder sign along the Duncton straight, before the main left hand turning and a stake at the turning (50&70)
- 12.4m left turn – x2 signs here
- 13.2m signs on the 30 mile speed limit sign (50&70)
- 13.6m straight on signs as a reminder (50&70)
- 13.9m right turn on the main big post at the 70mph sign (50&70)
- 14.3m reminder right arrow nr post box (50&70)
- 15.7m at X roads turn left on the b/w post and on the post at turning (50&70)
- 17.5m at X roads turn left. X2 signs on the letter box (50&70)
- 17.8m reminder signs on the ‘Canine Partners’ sign (50&70)
- 18.1m a Slow Down sign just before the narrow bridge
- 18.2m a ‘Caution Cyclists’ sign in the oncoming direction no point 18 (above)
- 18.6m turn left at the T junction (50&70). X2 signs on a stake on the green sign at the junction
- Also ‘Caution Cyclists’ sign on the road approaching this junction from Midhurst
- 19.5m turn right onto Bell Lane and at the Bell Inn – x2 signs (50&70). We need a Marshall here.
- Along this lane put ‘5 miles to the Feed Station’ sign
- X2 signs just before this turning also (50&70)
- 19.8m ‘ Caution – loose stones’ sign
- 20.8m reminder signs (50&70)
- ‘Food station 5 miles’ sign along here
- 21.6m – there are stables / farms in this area. Please mention the sportive to them to be aware.
- 22.3m on the b/w post x2 reminder signs
- 27.2m – stables here. Please mention the sportive to them so they are aware
- 23.5m turn left (to Elsted). Signs on stakes (50&70). One set before and one after
- 24.4m turn left. X2 signs on the b/w post (50&70)
- 24.6m on the 70mph main sign put x2 reminder signs (50&70)
- Coming from Elsted and before reaching South Harting is the food station in a lay-by (photo attached). Place a Food Station here in the lay-by
- 25.7m on the 30mph limit sign x2 reminder signs (50&70)
- Straight on to South Harting village
- 26.6m BOTH SPORTIVES NOW SPLIT.
- Follows is the remainder of the 50m sportive route ONLY…….
- 27.1m a reminder sign
- 28m - In South Harting village left turn towards Uppark (B2146). Do NOT take the left hand fork towards Chilgrove (B2141)
- Right arrow sign on the central post at the two forks
- 29m – a straight on reminder sign
- Carry along this road for approx. 2 miles
- As you approach the Littlegreen school on your left prepare to turn right. A right turn sign is needed at approx. 29.7m on the post box and the b/w post.
- HERE THE 50M ROUTE JOINS THE 35M ROUTE ALL THE WAY TO WESTBOURNE FEED STATION AND FOXBURY LANE HOME AT 40m.
- 50m route at 40m distance goes across Common Road – Caution Cyclists sign in both directions along this main road.
- Cross over the road and then immediately left – left sign needed here which is the B2147
- At 41m turn right – and up Hares Lane which is the B2146. A right hand turn sign is needed at this junction
- Carry on along this road until the T junction in Funtingdon. Here turn left – a sign is needed here plus a large Cyclists beware sign coming from the right hand direction
- Carry along this road and take the left hand turning along Downs Road. Signs here
- At 43m a reminder sign and again at 44m
- 44.7m the riders bear left up an incline – warning signs approaching this turning and a left hand sign at the junction
- 46.1m is the T junction opposite the church. Warning Cyclist signs in both directions here and a right hand turn sign plus a Marshal to be located here
- 46.3m take the left hand fork. Sign at the turning
- 46.6m take the right hand turning – sign here and carry on along New Road until the roundabout. Approaching the roundabout a right hand sign
- Turn right at the roundabout – signs needed
- Carry on back to the main Goodwood entrance, turning left to the finish line which is near the sportive registration