- Event URN:
- Start date:
- Sun, 31st Aug 2014
- Event Type:
- Cycle Sportive (Non-Competitive)
- Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit Claypit Lane, Westerton, Chichester, PO18 0PX ( View map )
- Online Entry FAQs
- Info for Riders:
- Three sportives on offer: 35, 50 or 70 miles starting off by doing one lap of the motor circuit and then off around the lanes from Goodwood over to Compton areas.
- Preview Rides:
Date Start Ride name Grade BCG Duration 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Biking Belles Challenge --- --- 112km / 70m 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Flying Belles --- --- 80km / 50m 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Starting Belles --- --- 56km / 35m
This will be a fantastic event and the first of its kind at Goodwood.
The Chichester based ladies cycling club, The Biking Belles have joined forces with British Cycling who bring with them years of experience.
Entries will be accepted on the day but the cost will increase by £5 per entry.
The event opens at 8am with three sportives (35, 50 and 70 miles), all competitiors will do one lap of the Goodwood circuit and then leave to complete their sportives in the surrounding Sussex area.
Following their departure, the circuit will open at about 10am to the general public (women only) to cycle around and receive training from British Cycling.
As from 1pm we have the Elite National Womens Racing - the highlight of the day and we are hoping for top women cyclists to enter. The first race will be the Lady March Grand Prix.
Early bird entries are now being accepted online at the British Cycling website: www.britishcyling.org.uk
We’re selling retail space at the circuit and are hoping local businesses will get involved and support this local event.
The event is supporting Boot Out Breast Cancer - www.bootoutbreastcancer.org.uk. A great little charity run by a team of enthusiastic women raising funds for much needed equipment in the treatment of breast cancer
The sportives departure times are as follows:
70m route - 8am - 8.30am
50 m route - 8.30am - 9am
35m route - 9am - 9.30am
There will be a sportive briefing at 7.30am at the sportive registration desk.
For further details please contact:
|Date||Start||Distance||BCG||Est. Field Size|
|31 Aug 14||08:00||112km / 70m||---||100|
The sportive briefings will take place at 7.30am at the sportive registration area.
Departure times as follows:
70m - departs between 8am - 8.30am
50m - departs between 8.30am - 9am
35m - departs between 9am - 9.30am
Plus one lap of the Goodwood motor circuit
Due to some gravelly lanes we have had to amend the route slightly, as follows:
You will complete one lap of the Goodwood motor circuit then leave to follow this route...
Here's the 35m route, in addition to this you will complete one lap of the circuit before leaving to complete the route in the surrounding countryside
There is a small section of this route which has, at the moment, loose stones on the lane, as you turn off the Chilgrove road towards the Mardens. All participants will be emailed prior to the event date and there will be clear signs warning of any problems ahead.
70m sportive Risk Assessment
Date: 29/08/2014 13:07
Source: Val Harper
50m and 70m Grand Prix sportives – Risk Assessment – 2014
To note: the 50m and 70m routes are together until they reach 27m which is in South Harting. Here they part company.
2.4m is the distance of the circuit, depart the circuit as follows:
Start your clock at 0 miles at exit of the motor circuit.
- Turn left at exit of motor circuit
- .22m straight across the roundabout. Signs just before the roundabout and at the roundabout and after
- 2.1m turn right – x2 signs at the turning (50&70)
- 3.7m at crossroads put reminder signs to go straight on (50&70)
- Midway along this road put reminder signs (50&70)
- 5.9m at T junction turn left signs for 50 & 70. We also need the large ‘Cycle Event Signs’ put as motorists approach from the left / Halnaker direction
- 7.8m x2 signs on the bus stop sign (50 & 70)
- 10.1m on the school sign x2 signs (50 & 70)
- 10.9m a reminder sign along the Duncton straight, before the main left hand turning and a stake at the turning (50&70)
- 12.4m left turn – x2 signs here
- 13.2m signs on the 30 mile speed limit sign (50&70)
- 13.6m straight on signs as a reminder (50&70)
- 13.9m right turn on the main big post at the 70mph sign (50&70)
- 14.3m reminder right arrow nr post box (50&70)
- 15.7m at X roads turn left on the b/w post and on the post at turning (50&70)
- 17.5m at X roads turn left. X2 signs on the letter box (50&70)
- 17.8m reminder signs on the ‘Canine Partners’ sign (50&70)
- 18.1m a Slow Down sign just before the narrow bridge
- 18.2m a ‘Caution Cyclists’ sign in the oncoming direction no point 18 (above)
- 18.6m turn left at the T junction (50&70). X2 signs on a stake on the green sign at the junction
- Also ‘Caution Cyclists’ sign on the road approaching this junction from Midhurst
- 19.5m turn right onto Bell Lane and at the Bell Inn – x2 signs (50&70). We need a Marshall here.
- Along this lane put ‘5 miles to the Feed Station’ sign
- X2 signs just before this turning also (50&70)
- 19.8m ‘ Caution – loose stones’ sign
- 20.8m reminder signs (50&70)
- ‘Food station 5 miles’ sign along here
- 21.6m – there are stables / farms in this area. Please mention the sportive to them to be aware.
- 22.3m on the b/w post x2 reminder signs
- 27.2m – stables here. Please mention the sportive to them so they are aware
- 23.5m turn left (to Elsted). Signs on stakes (50&70). One set before and one after
- 24.4m turn left. X2 signs on the b/w post (50&70)
- 24.6m on the 70mph main sign put x2 reminder signs (50&70)
- Coming from Elsted and before reaching South Harting is the food station in a lay-by (photo attached). Place a Food Station here in the lay-by
- 25.7m on the 30mph limit sign x2 reminder signs (50&70)
- Straight on to South Harting village
- 26.6m BOTH SPORTIVES NOW SPLIT.
- Follows the 70m route…
- From South Harting take the B2146 to Petersfield – reminder sign at 27m
- Keep on this road for approx. 3 miles – reminder signs along this route x2
- At the T junction place Cyclists Beware large signs coming from the Petersfield / right hand direction plus a left arrow opp the junction.
- 30m turn left on to The Causeway B2070 and carry on until the roundabout.
- Take the first exit at the roundabout. Directional arrows before and at the roundabout and at the left hand turning
- This left hand turning is called Greenway Lane
- Carry on along this lane until the right hand turning at Kiln Lane. Take this turning. Directional signs before and at this turning.
- Kiln Lane is steep until 32.5m. Carry on along this lane (crossing over the S Downs Way en route). Kiln Lane changes to New Barn Lane once you cross S Downs Way. Continue along and place Reminder signs along the way
- New Barn Lane is long and winding
- At approx. 35m begin to prepare for a sharp right hand turn and uphill. Prior to this right hand turn place the yellow warning signs along the lane to drop down a gear.
- At this right turning junction place a right hand turning arrow prior to the turning and at the turning. Warning Cyclists large sign along this road – South Lane,in both directions warning the drivers.
- 36m keep on South Lane (do not take the right hand fork which is Chalton Lane), bear left still on South Lane. Directional signs here.
- Continue along South Lane until you reach Finchdean.
- Pass the pub in Finchdean, you will now start seeing 35m and 50m signs please add your 70m signs to where you see these signs – all the way to the feed station in Westbourne.
- From the feed station attach the 70m signs where the 35 and 50m signs are and follow them until you reach the T junction at the top of Foxbury lane (B2147).
- At the T junction there will be large Caution Cyclists signs in both directions – pls check they are still visible.
- At the T junction place a right turning sign and then a left hand turn sign. You are still on the B2147 heading towards Compton.
- As you pass 45m and the Church of St Peter on your left the road changes to B2146.
- Directional / reminder signs needed along this road.
- Keep on this road and carry on all the way to Compton village
- Once you pass the turning to the village shop take the next right hand turning. Right hand signs approaching and at the turning. Signs on pegs at the village green also (these may be removed by locals!)
- Carry on along this lane. In some places there are loose stones, signs needed.
- The lane is called Long Lane
- Reminder signs needed
- At the T junction take a right turning. Signs needed as you approach the T junction and at the T junction
- Carry on for approx. 1m and you come to East marden village.
- At the central island put a directional sign to keep to the left. Slightly uphill road.
- Carry on for approx. 1m until you come to the T junction – you are joining the Chilgrove road.
- At this T junction turn right. Caution Cyclists large signs are needed on this busy road in both directions. Right hand turning at this junction and as you approach the T junction.
- Carry on along this road for approx. 4 miles. Reminder signs along this road. This is a wide road.
- 57.1m junction joining of the Midhurst – Chichester road, turn left. Directional signs needed prior to the junction and at the junction. Plus Caution Cyclists large signs on the Chichester approach direction.
- Carry on along this road, pass West Dean College / garden centre entrances for approx. 3.2m when you come to Singleton
- Take the Charlton Road turning. Caution Right Turn signs before the turning and Cauition Cyclists large signs in both directions prior to this turning. This turning is not the one by the pond but the one before you arrive at the pond, a back lane almost. Care at this turning – lots of signs needed.
- Carry on along this Charlton Road, pass the Pheasantry, Fox Runs Free pubs for approx. 2 miles.
- You will arrive at East Dean village pond / green at 62m. At the green put up signs turning right. The cyclists will turn right up East Dean hill
- At the top of the hill and at the X roads go straight across. Signs prior and at the X roads are needed. Caution Cyclists signs needed in both directions.
- Go straight across the X roads and down this hill (Sculpture Park Hill). Directional signs needed – approx. 2 miles
- Pass the Goodwood Hotel on your right and carry on to the X roads. Go straight across the X roads. Directional signs needed and Caution Cylists large signs needed in both directions along the main road (New Road)
- Go straight across to Westerton and carry on round until you reach the motor circuit road (Claypit Lane) junction.
- Directional signs needed. Turn right here and make your way back to the finish line which is at the sportive registration area.