- Event URN:
- Start date:
- Sun, 31st Aug 2014
- Event Type:
- Cycle Sportive (Non-Competitive)
- Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit Claypit Lane, Westerton, Chichester, PO18 0PX ( View map )
- Online Entry FAQs
- Info for Riders:
- Three sportives on offer: 35, 50 or 70 miles starting off by doing one lap of the motor circuit and then off around the lanes from Goodwood over to Compton areas.
- Preview Rides:
Date Start Ride name Grade BCG Duration 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Biking Belles Challenge --- --- 112km / 69.59m 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Flying Belles --- --- 80km / 49.71m 31 Aug 14 08:00 The Starting Belles --- --- 56km / 34.8m
This will be a fantastic event and the first of its kind at Goodwood.
The Chichester based ladies cycling club, The Biking Belles have joined forces with British Cycling who bring with them years of experience.
Entries will be accepted on the day but the cost will increase by £5 per entry.
The event opens at 8am with three sportives (35, 50 and 70 miles), all competitiors will do one lap of the Goodwood circuit and then leave to complete their sportives in the surrounding Sussex area.
Following their departure, the circuit will open at about 10am to the general public (women only) to cycle around and receive training from British Cycling.
As from 1pm we have the Elite National Womens Racing - the highlight of the day and we are hoping for top women cyclists to enter. The first race will be the Lady March Grand Prix.
Early bird entries are now being accepted online at the British Cycling website: www.britishcyling.org.uk
We’re selling retail space at the circuit and are hoping local businesses will get involved and support this local event.
The event is supporting Boot Out Breast Cancer - www.bootoutbreastcancer.org.uk. A great little charity run by a team of enthusiastic women raising funds for much needed equipment in the treatment of breast cancer
The sportives departure times are as follows:
70m route - 8am - 8.30am
50 m route - 8.30am - 9am
35m route - 9am - 9.30am
There will be a sportive briefing at 7.30am at the sportive registration desk.
For further details please contact:
|Date||Start||Distance||BCG||Est. Field Size|
|31 Aug 14||08:00||112km / 69.59m||---||100|
|Date||Start||Distance||BCG||Est. Field Size|
|31 Aug 14||08:00||80km / 49.71m||---||100|
The sportive briefings will take place at 7.30am at the sportive registration area.
Departure times as follows:
70m - departs between 8am - 8.30am
50m - departs between 8.30am - 9am
35m - departs between 9am - 9.30am
Plus one lap of the Goodwood motor circuit
Due to some gravelly lanes we have had to amend the route slightly, as follows:
You will complete one lap of the Goodwood motor circuit then leave to follow this route...
Here's the 35m route, in addition to this you will complete one lap of the circuit before leaving to complete the route in the surrounding countryside
There is a small section of this route which has, at the moment, loose stones on the lane, as you turn off the Chilgrove road towards the Mardens. All participants will be emailed prior to the event date and there will be clear signs warning of any problems ahead.
35 sportive risk assessment
Date: 15/08/2014 12:16
Source: Val Harper
35m Grand Prix sportive - Risk Assessment – 2014 Grand Prix
Complete one lap of the circuit then exit as directed towards the main gate of the circuit. Follow the signs.
- Finish line – is the cobbled row near the Programme shelters
- X4 Arrows needed at the entrance near the Goodwood main ticket office directing towards the sportive registration area
- X1 marshal directing to the registration near the ticket office
- X1 Sportive sign opposite the exit of the circuit
- X1 arrow on the signpost before the roundabout and x1 on the roundabout
- On the Lavant straight – 35m sportive sign and x1 arrow
- X2 arrows – x1 on the Fordwater Road pole and x1 on Pook Lane sign, showing a left hand turning
- On the small Lavant roundabout x1 arrow and on the grey lamppost nr roundabout x1 arrow showing a right hand turning
- At 4.6m on the Midhurst sign – x1 arrow. Plus x2 Cycle Event signs, in both directions. To minimise the risk of cars jumping the roundabout
- Uppark brown sign – x1 arrow and x1 on the lamppost at the turning – 5.8m
- 7.6m – x1 straight arrow to reassure the cyclists of their route along the Chilgrove straight
- 8.8m another straight arrow before the Chilgrove Park Road sign
- 9.8m – on the 650yds sign – x1 straight arrow just before the hill (just past the pub)
- 10.1m on the small island at the top of the hill – x1 arrow right direction
- 10.9m at the left turning.x2 stakes/arrows. X1 just before and x1 opp the turning
- Warning: Gravely surface signs just along this lane – x2
- 11.7m at the right turning. X2 on a stake, at turning and just before
- 12.4m: x1 arrowat top of the hill and x1 after the junction on stakes
- 13m: ‘Descent – take care’ sign at the tight left bend. Also mention this at the briefing
- Compton/Harting black and white post – x1 arrow and x1 just before
- 13.9m at the junction. X1 right hand arrow on a stake and x1 on the lawn – all right handed. B2146 road
- 14.5m on the B2146 for the left turning. X1 arrow on the school sign and x1 on the b/w sign post
- 15m. x1 arrow on a stake as a reminder along this lane
- 16.7m at the left turning. X1 arrow on the right and x1 arrow opp as you turn left – both on stakes
- 17.7m Finchdean. X1 arrow at the Finchdean sign
- 17.8m. White Hill right turning. X1 arrow and stake at the turning and x1 arrow and stake plus x1 arrow before the turning
- 18.3m. x1 arrow at the 40m sign and x1 arrow on the Rowlands Castle signpost
- 18.4m at the left hand turning on to the main road – x1 arrow at the turning and x1 on the sign before the turning. Plus x2 Cycle Event signs on both sides of the road. Marshal at this junction. Medium risk area here.
- At the RC / Bridge area. X1 marshal located here and x3 arrows directing cyclist around the turning and up the road
- 20m distance - x1 arrow on a stake
- At the left hand turning at the top of the hill and on to the main road – x1 marshal. Cycle Event signs – x2 on both sides of the road
- 21.3m. x1 arrow on the sign to say right turn and x1 arrow at the junction sign
- Westbourne. X1 arrow towards the T junction
- 22.2m – x1 marshal at the T junction in Westbourne, before reaching the parish hall. X2 arrows indicating direction to the parish hall
- 22.3m - Westbourne parish hall. X1 Food Station sign and Cycle Event signs x2. X2 arrows for the route out
- 23.2m – x1 arrow on the Foxbury Lane sign
- 23.5m – at the Woodmancote Lane sign – x1 arrow
- 23.8m – on the main road at the T junction – x2 Cycle Event signs and x1 arrow opp the turning
- Funtingdon road – x1 arrow along the road to remind the cyclists of the direction
- 25.9m – Cheesmans Lane – x1 Cycle Event Sign
- 25.9m Funtingdon left turning x1 arrow and x1 arrow on the sign opposite
- 26m – Broadley rearing unit area – x1 arrow in a stake
- At the West Stoke junction – x2 arrows on stakes
- 27.3m – x1 arrow on stake along the Lavant lane
- 27.9m – x1 arrow at left of bridleway
- 28.8m along the West lavant lane x1 arrow
- 29.2m – Lavant church junction. X1 marshal and x1 arrow on signpost and x2 Cycle event signs
- 29.4m – at the left slip road x2 arrows and poss x1 marshal
- 29.6m and 29.8m at the T junction – x2 arrows and x1 Cycling Event sign and x1 marshal
- 30m – nr the racehorse sign – x1 arrow and stake
- 31.5m – at the main Goodwood T junction – poss a marshal? X2 Cycle Event signs and x1 EXTRA large arrow
- Goodwood roundabout – x1 arrow on signpost before roundabout and x1 arrow after the roundabout
At circuit – x1 arrow to turn right and x1 marshal directing – 32.4m in total inc circuit lap