British Paracycling Championships
Story posted June 22, 2010; Event: Horwich, 20th June
There were two Paracycling championships held in Horwich on Sunday during an entertaining day of bike and running races for all ages and abilities. Held on a closed circuit close to Horwich Town Centre, both races were held over a distance of an hour and were flagged off the start line by the Mayor.
In the Handcycle Championship, Paralympic champion Rachel Morris and Karen Darke only had to do 10 laps to the men’s 12 but made such good progress that they both lapped most of the men (rather than the being lapped) on their way to a 1-2, with Rachel also lapping Karen in the closing stages.
In the Bikes and Tandems event, Lora Turnham with tandem pilot Bex Rimmington (VI) put on a fine display in the factored race for bikes and tandems, catching the long marker Stuart Trowm MC1) at about 3/4 distance. Near scratch factored rider, Russ White (MC5) put up an amazing display and came well within a lap of closing down Silver medallist Stuart Trown and non Championship contender and Irishman Colin Lynch (MC2) before the finish to clinch the Bronze medal.
Bikes and Tandems
1. Lora Turnhamm (Pilot- Rebecca Rimmington) Melton Olympic FVI
2. Stuart Trowm Mid Shropshire Wheelers MC1
3. Russell Whitem Forza Cycles MC5
4. Matt Plestedm Team Terminator MC1
5. Mark Colbournem M & D Cycles MC1
6. Shaun McKeownm GS Avanti MC4
7. Tim Challinorm Dave Mellor Cycles MC5
8. Michael Rennisonm Cleveland Wheelers MC4
9. Martin Christmasm Chester RC MC3
10. Daniel Westonm (Pilot- Patrick Weston) North Devon Wheelers) MLD
11. Nick Millsm (Pilot- Kenny Parker) Mid Devon Wheelers MVI
Note: Colin Lynch (Macclesfield Wheelers) MC2 finished 2nd but did not qualify for Championship
1. Rachel Morris A3CRG FH2
2. Karen Darke UKHCA FH3
3. Alistair Corps-Bell UKHCA MH2
4. Marc Poolman UKHCA MH2
5. Edd Jones UKHCA MH
Note: John Osborne (UKHCA) MH2 finished 5th but did not qualify for Championship