Last Updated: October 24th 2013
The following opportunities for funding are available in Yorkshire and the Humber. Opportunities for bursaries or grants to help with the cost of coaching courses may also be available via the National Funding Opportunities page.
You may find further funding streams via Sports Coach UK by clicking here
Active Ryedale offers the sports volunteer support scheme for coaches to apply for, in return for delivering a minimum of 20 voluntary hours at their club.
Email Stuart Cleary: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01751-472 846.
Craven District Council Community Grant Scheme
The Craven District Council Community Grant Scheme supports revenue projects such as coach education and training. Over a dozen sports clubs benefit each year from applying.
Governing Body of Sport Coach and Leader Bursary
• Funding through this scheme is only available to coaches and leaders identified by their governing bodies of sport who will be deployed to deliver programmes that increase participation in line with their
governing body’s whole sport plan priorities.
• Must be coaching in West Yorkshire.
• To support people to gain Level 1 or 2 coach awards or governing body of sport leadership awards
Inclusive Coaching Bursary
Must be coaching in West Yorkshire. This can support people with a disability to qualify as a coach or
coaches to do sport-specific disability training as follows:
1 Coaches undertaking sport-specific inclusion training/ qualifications – funding is available to support coaches to attend sport-specific governing body of sport disability/inclusion modules or qualifications.
2 People with a disability who wish to qualify as a coach
– funding is available to support individuals to gain Level 1 or 2 coaching awards or a recognised governing body of sport leadership award.
Kirklees Council Coach Education Support Scheme
The scheme is open to all voluntary sports clubs and organisations in the Kirklees District that meet the following criteria:
• affiliated to either their local or national governing body of sport
• hold a constitution
• show annual accounts
• have policies for health and safety, equal opportunities, and safeguarding
• have valid insurance
• carry out DBS checks on volunteers/coaches.
Individuals will have to show their commitment to develop sport in the community in Kirklees. The grant can support the cost of governing body of sport coach education courses at Levels 1 and 2.
Scarborough and District Sports Council
Funding can be used for equipment, travel costs, coach education, sports events and volunteer development.
South Yorkshire Funding Advice Bureau (SYFAB)
Free online funding advice bureau that offers a filtering system with local funding pots.
South Yorkshire Sport
South Yorkshire Sport is running a series of Sport Activator programmes that include funding towards various governing body of sport qualifications. You must volunteer your coaching time and create new participation opportunities to be eligible to express your interest. This project is governing body of sport driven and includes an application process.
E-mail - email@example.com
North Yorkshire Sport encourages Sportivate applications to include coach education funding. Sportivate is aimed at supporting projects engaging young people aged 14–25 years old in sport, providing 6–8
weeks of coaching at a local venue.
E-mail - Damien.Smith@harrogate.gov.uk
WY Change 4 Life Coaching Bursary
• Support people to gain Level 1 or 2 coach awards.
• Only the following sports are eligible: badminton; boccia; fencing; handball; table tennis; volleyball; and wheelchair basketball.
• Must be coaching in West Yorkshire.
News and updates from the Coaching Team at British Cycling can also be found via our Twitter account