JustGiving and Cycling Clubs
Posted: 6 April 2010 | Link: www.justgiving.com/sportsclubs
Sport England, JustGiving and CCPR have come together to make it easier for clubs to raise money and claim Gift Aid, enabling volunteers to spend more time on sport and less time on administration.
JustGiving, the largest online fundraising community in the world, is now able to offer the same tools to Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) that it provides to the biggest charities in the UK. JustGiving have dropped their subscription fees - worth £180 per year - for all CASCs, meaning that clubs can join JustGiving today, and start fundraising for all the important things you help raise money for, like coach education courses, bikes, equipment and facilities.
Cycling clubs who own their own facility and cycling clubs that don't have a facility can both benefit from becoming a CASC club. To find out what benefits are available to and what you need to do in order to register as a CASC club, please visit www.cascinfo.co.uk.
Free use of the Just Giving website is another benefit for CASC cycling clubs and using Just Giving can help your club raise more money because:
• you can raise money more easily, quickly and efficiently.
• JustGiving makes claiming Gift Aid easy, as they do all the administration for you, saving you time and money. Through Gift Aid, the Government will give you up to 28p for every £1 you raise.
• payments through JustGiving are weekly, so you know when they are coming, and can plan ahead.
• real people are on hand to give you and your supporters help and advice 7 days a week.
An example from Cricket shows how CASC clubs can benefit from Gift aid and using the JustGiving service. Ashley Cricket Club, a member of the Mellor Braggins Cheshire Cricket League, has been taking advantage of its CASC status to raise money using JustGiving. In the space of just two weeks, they raised £480 in donations and received a further £140 in Gift Aid thanks to being a registered CASC club that was using Just Giving.
Fundraising ideas, with added Gift Aid:
1. Create a JustGiving page to appeal for donations to fund a particular development project of your club
2. Create your JustGiving page to mark a celebration or an anniversary, marriage or birthday
3. Accept donations in memory of a loved one or former club member through your JustGiving pages
4. Do something crazy! Like growing, cutting or shaving your hair, moustaches or beards
5. Create a JustGiving page for your sponsored events, whether it's marathons, runs, swims, walks, hikes or cycle rides
6. Ask your friends to support your New Year's resolutions with donations to your club. You could give up smoking, chocolate, sweets or alcohol
How to sign up for your free JustGiving account
Clubs that are already registered as CASCs can visit and sign up at www.justgiving.com/sportsclubs
They will receive:
• Step-by-step registration help
• A JustGiving webpage for your club and unlimited JustGiving pages for your club's members to raise money through
• Expert fundraising guidance and expertise
• Help from a person at the other end of a phone if you need it, for both your club and your members
CASC and Gift Aid is an under utilised resource among cycling. Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs report that only 1 in 10 CASC clubs utilise Gift Aid and currently there are only 20 cycling clubs in the entire country who are registered CASC.
If you want more information about utilising the Just Giving service and claiming Gift Aid please contact;
Rob Mace (British Cycling)
Development Officer Clubs & Volunteers
firstname.lastname@example.org - 0161 279 2069
The JustGiving charities helpdesk, staffed by experts
email@example.com - 0845 0212133
firstname.lastname@example.org - 08458 508508
Dominic Goggins - CCPR (CASCs)
email@example.com - 0207 976 3903