Follow britishcycling.org.uk on
Garner Wins in Woking but Wyman Takes the Series
Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Round Four, Woking
Tuesday 14 June 2011 | Report: Peter Hodges
Link: Halfords Tour Series Round 7 - Woking
Report: Tour Series
Sixteen-year-old Lucy Garner sprinted to victory in Woking in the final round of the Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series, but the win wasn't enough to overhaul Series leader Helen Wyman, who took the title and the final leader's white jersey by just three points.
Wyman came fourth on the night, behind the podium of Garner, Hannah Rich and Hannah Barnes, with the latter taking a narrow victory in the Series Sprints competition on count back.
With team, individual and sprint standings still at stake, the final round of the Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series was a controlled affair, with no riders managing to escape the main field for any prolonged period.
A consistent pace throughout meant that the favourites remained bunched together in the front group throughout, which gradually thinned out as the race progressed.
Prominent early on in proceedings was Tamina Oliver of VC Squadra Donne, making her Series debut and immediately get into the thick of the action and taking the honours at the opening intermediate sprint of the evening.
Having come third behind sprint rival Rich at the first sprint, Barnes took the win at the second sprint, ahead of Rich, to ensure she retained the Johnson Health Tech Sprints jersey post-race on count back over her Horizon Fitness rival.
VC St Raphael's Sarah Byrne was one of the most aggressive riders throughout the race, but without the support of a team like Motorpoint or Horizon Fitness she couldn't make any moves stick, eventually finishing seventh to take a highly creditable eighth overall in the Series.
The final round of the new-for-2011 Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series also saw the first bunch sprint of the season, after the previous three races had been won by riders individually or in small groups.
Exiting the final 'dead' turn, Garner got the jump on her rivals, moving off the wheel of Rich with around 200 metres to go. Despite the headwind, and her limited gears as a junior, Garner pulled clear on the run up to the line for an emphatic victory.
Behind Rich beat Garner's Motorpoint teammate Barnes to the line for the final podium spots, with Wyman's fourth securing the title ahead of For Viored Brookvex's Amy Roberts, who took her best result of the Series.
The Motorpoint duo of Garner and Barnes follow behind Wyman in the standings, with the Kona Factory Rider taking an impressive run of second, second, third and fourth from the four races to make consistency the secret to her title.
Rich and Horizon Fitness teammate Penny Rowson complete the top five of the standings, ahead of Rohan Battison and Stoke-on-Trent Round winner Dani King.
Byrne, Oldham winner Annie Simpson and Roberts round out the lower reaches of a highly competitive top ten.
Highlights of the final round of the Johnson Health Tech Women's Grand Prix Series will be shown as a part of The Halfords Tour Series highlights on ITV4 at 20.00 on Wednesday 15th June, with a repeat on Thursday 16th June at 10.40.
1) Lucy Garner Motorpoint Pro Cycling
2) Hannah Rich Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
3) Hannah Barnes Motorpoint Pro Cycling
4) Helen Wyman Kona Factory Racing
5) Amy Roberts For Viored Brookvex
6) Penny Rowson Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
7) Sarah Byrne VC St Raphael
8) Harriet Owen Motorpoint Pro Cycling
9) Ella Sadler-Andrews Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo
10) Joanne McRae Look Mum No Hands
Motorpoint Pro Cycling
Hannah Barnes Motorpoint Pro Cycling
Final Individual Standings, after Round Four
1) Helen Wyman Kona Factory Racing 83pts
2) Lucy Garner Motorpoint Pro Cycling 80pts
3) Hannah Barnes Motorpoint Pro Cycling 72pts
4) Hannah Rich Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 66pts
5) Penny Rownson Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 63pts
6) Rohan Battison For Viored Brookvex 48pts
7) Dani King Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 47pts
8) Sarah Byrne VC St Raphael 47pts
9) Annie Simpson Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 46pts
10) Amy Roberts For Viored Brookvex 42pts
Final Team Standings, after Round Four
1) Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 219pts
2) Motorpoint Pro Cycling 199pts
3) For Viored Brookvex 147pts
4) Condor Cycles 66pts
5) Mule Bar Girls 6pts
6) Inverse Cyclaim Women's RT 5pts
Final Sprint Standings, after Round Four
1) Hannah Barnes Motorpoint Pro Cycling 24pts
2) Hannah Rich Horizon Fitness RT Prendas Ciclismo 24pts
3) Helen Wyman Kona Factory Racing 18pts