Round 7 of the ultra popular West Midlands League sponsored by Waldrons Solicitors ventured out of the region into the East Midlands as the latest event was staged at Misterton Hall near Lutterworth.
The course proved to be technically challenging with the varied terrain of fast shale pathways, tarmac roadways, dry dusty woodlands and strength sapping meadowland.
Under 10s – Full results
With a number of clubs with strong Youth Development schemes within the region the Under 10’s race was contested by 62 riders. On a specially designed circuit the racing throughout was incredibly close. Emile Alexander (Wyre Forest CC), Ben Askey (Lichfield CC) and Jack Rootkin dominated the proceedings. Emile took the victory with Josie Nelson crossing the line in seventh and first girl.
1. Emile Alexander 2002 Wyre Forest CC
2. Ben Askey 2004 Lichfield City CC
3. Jack Rootkin-Gray 2002 Solihull CC
4. Luke Simmonds 2002 Stratford CC
5. Adam Phillips 2002 Wolverhampton Whlrs CC
6. Josh Field 2002 Halesowen A & CC
7. Josie Nelson 2002 Halesowen A & CC - First girl
8. Ryan Cambridge 2002 Solihull CC
9. Nicholas Evans 2002 Stratford CC
10. Connor Smith 2003 Lichfield City CC
Under 12s - Full results
The under 12s race once again saw an impressive ride by Lewis Askey (Lichfield City CC). Once the 43 riders had negotiated the swooping start and finish field Lewis was in total control and soled to the victory. Second was Jacob Knight (Solihull CC) ahead of team mate Ben Breakwell. First girl was Jenny Kendall (Halesowen A & CC).
1. Lewis Askey 2001 Lichfield City CC
2. Jacob Knight 2000 Solihull CC
3. Ben Breakwell 2000 Solihull CC
4. James Swadling 2000 Nottingham Clarion
5. Harrison Knight 2000 Solihull CC
6. Will Staite 2001 Lichfield City CC
7. Matt Lewis 2000 Wolverhampton Whlrs C
8. Ben Healy 2000 Halesowen A & CC
9. James Alexander 2000 Solihull CC
10. Joe Phillips 2000 Wolverhampton Whlrs CC
First girl -Jenny Kendall 2000 Halesowen A & CC
Youth event - Full results
The youth event was won by Danny Fox (Solihull CC) who was pushed all the way by Chris Welburn (Lichfield City CC). In a tight sprint for the finish line David Creber (Malvern CS) just piped Ethan Lee (Solihull CC) on the finish line. Ewan Mellor was first under 14 and Charlotte Broughton was first girl.
1. Danny Fox 1996 Solihull CC
2. Chris Welburn 1996 Lichfield City CC
3. David Creber 1996 Malvern CS
4. Ethan Lee 1996 Solihull CC
5. Alex Mitchell 0 Solihull CC
6. Anthony Neave 1997 Stourbridge CC
7. Ewan Grivell-Mellor 1998 Mid Shropshire Whls – First under 14
8. Harry Yates 1999 Lichfield City CC
9. Preslav Dimitrov 0 Stratford CC
10. Charlotte Broughton 1998 LRC – First girl
Veterans, Ladies & Juniors - Full results
A total of 159 riders took to the start line of the veterans, ladies and junior event. It was colourful sight as the mass start exploded away from the start line as the leading riders set a fast pace.
Alex Welburn (Cycle Shack/Forme Coaching) made his intentions clear as the course twist and turned its way around the estate the elastic snapped as he forged ahead of a chasing pack that included Steve Kinight (MI Racing), Scott Rose (Welland Valley CC) and Phil Roach (Rugby Velo) who was resplendent in his National Welsh Championship jersey. Alex, who making up for lost time after missing the most of the summer due to illness showed his natural speed and agility as he looked effortless as he soloed to a fine victory.
In the ladies event Helen Clayton (Lichfield City CC) and mother Elizabeth Clayton dominated the ladies race. Helen just managed to break free from her mother in the closing laps. The Clayton duo where chased all the way to the finish line by Sarah Naylor Ashfield RC.
In the over 50’s race Pete Harris (Pearce Cycles) was another rider in fine form and enjoyed the Misterton course. As the over 50’s sliced their way past the rear of the over 40’s race Pete was in cruise control as he gradually pulled clear from former International road and track rider Mick Davies (Pedal Power). The battle for third was a close tussle between John Price (Beacon RCC) and Kevin Payton (Stourbridge CC) Price taking the final step on the podium. First vet over 60 was Vic Barnett (Welland Valley CC).
Results - Full result
1. Alex Welburn Cycle Shack/Forme Coaching Junior
2. George Rowlands Mid Shropshire Wheelers Junior
3. George Appleby Stourbridge CC Junior
1. Steve Knight Team Jewson/Thule/Kinesis/CNP/MI Racing Vet 40+
2. Scott Rose Welland Valley CC Vet 40+
3. Philip Roach Rugby Velo Vet 45+
1. Peter Harris Pearce Cycles Vet 50+
2. Mick Davies Pedal Power Loughborough Vet 50+
3. John Rice Beacon RCC Vet 50+
1. Victor Barnett Welland Valley CC Vet 65+
1. Helen Clayton Lichfield City CC Lady U23
2. Elizabeth Clayton Lichfield City CC Lady V
3. Sarah Naylor Ashfield RC Lady
Seniors - Full results
The senior event was started by Mrs Craven, the owner of Misterton Hall, and exploding out the blocks was Andy Naylor (Ashfield RC) .
Behind was league regulars Tom Payton (Cult Racing), Neil Hayward (sportstest.co.uk), Matt Barrett (Cycle Shack/Forme Coaching) and Darren Atkins (MI Racing Team Dewsons). At the end of the first lap Naylor was fighting to stay in contact with the Payton quartet.
The race exploded into life when Atkins suffered a puncture on lap three of the eight lap race. The pace of the remaining trio increased, as Atkins started to battle back into contention. Hayward was slipping off the pace as Barrett and Payton accelerated in and out of the sweeping bends.
Atkins showed his class and bridged a twenty second gap to rejoin the head of the race, after a slight breather Atkins was once again swapping the lead with determined local rider Barrett. As these two jostled for the led the pace increased and next to slide off the pace was Payton.
With the bell sounding Atkins and Barrett entered the final lap both looking in cool and calm. With just over half a lap to go Atkins made his bid for victory as he found another gear and gapped Barrett by eight seconds. Barrett, who has been unwell all week showed great determination to battle back but it was too late as Atkins closed the finish line arms aloft.
Payton was third and Hayward held off Naylor for fourth place.
Result - Full result
1. Darren Atkins Team Jewson/Thule/Kinesis/CNP/MI Racing
2. Matt Barrett Cycle Shack/Forme Coaching
3. Tom Payton Cult Racing
4. Neil Hayward sportstest.co.uk
5. Andrew Naylor Ashfield RC Senior
6. Robert W Burns Wolverhampton Wheelers CC
7. Chris Rathbone None Senior
8. Sam Sayers Lutterworth CC
9. Richard Jones None
10. Nathan Turner Welland Valley CC